Lounger
    Thanks
    In Excel 2007 is it possible to highlight a selected set of individual characters that is less than the entire cell contents? When individual characters are selected in the formula bar, the Fill Color button is grayed out.

Thank you,

Dr Andy

Thanks
    Fill colour is greyed out because the fill is applied to the entire cell. However, any formatting that is applied to characters can be applied to the selected characters. For example; bolding, colour changes or font and typeface formatting.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks
    Catharine,

Thank you. I was hoping the Excel Mensa-types here might have some obscure or VBA way to accomplish this.

Dr Andy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by drandy View Post
    I was hoping the Excel Mensa-types here might have some obscure or VBA way to accomplish this.
    Me (adopting Scotty's accent) "yea canna change the laws of physics"
    *giggle* Oh, I crack myself up sometimes - it must come from hanging around a small child.

Ahem, well what I meant to say before my mind wandered was - For what purpose do you wish to change the cell background. Perhaps there is another way to achieve the desired effect.
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catharine Richardson - WebGenii View Post
    Me (adopting Scotty's accent) "yea canna change the laws of physics"
    *giggle* Oh, I crack myself up sometimes - it must come from hanging around a small child.
    Perhaps sanity is an early casualty for Excel-MENSA types just like it is for medical researchers!

Highlighting of study participants' narrative test comments that indicate: a) something needing follow-up (yellow), b) positive comments (green), or c) negative comments (red) to forward to the test initiator. This request came from the initiator after all had agreed to use Excel for what turned out to be 18,000 rows of data for the extended study. We tried changing font color and yellow was very poor for reading [we even changed the yellow to blue] however the initiator's scientists were fixated on highlighting and I said I would see what could be done. I have no problem telling them it can not be done.

Thank you for your time,

Dr Andy

Thanks
    Uh, I hate to break it to you on a Friday afternoon - but yes that can be done.
    Here is a idea.[attachment=88071:datavalidationandconditionalforma tting.xlsx]
    Attached Files Attached Files
    WebGenii Home Page

Lounger
    Thanks
    Catharine:

Thank you for your reply. However, each row's daily comment cell can have as many as ten different entries or segments. It is those individual segments within the cell that we are trying to highlight with the aforementioned colors.

I have told them it was not possible to highlight individual segments of a cell's entries and am awaiting their response.

Dr Andy