2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi all,

Using Word 2003.

In some documents, 'Toggle field codes' is no longer working for pictures.

SHIFT+F9 does not toggle the picture field codes.

Also, when I directly call the command using a toolbar button (I dragged this onto a toolbar using Customize), it still does not work.

However, ALT+F9 still toggles all the picture field codes.
    I tried hiding my (powerful) template (by changing its name) and then reopening my document to see if it is my template messing things up. Did not help.
    Both methods instead just select and unselect the picture, but do not expose the file path field underneath.

The documents in which Toggle does not work are large developed documents. In new empty-ish docs that I just created with CTRL+N, 'Toggle Field Codes' still works for pictures, and even if the problem document is still open at the time.

It's like my large developed documents are corrupting the Word command set.

Ideas?

TIA

- avi

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, SHIFT+F9 is sometimes working in my large document for some pictures...

And then for the same pictures for which it was working, it then stops working.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I think that MicroSoft must have smashed up Word 2003 to make us all use Word 2007 ...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Actually, you still see odd behaviors in Word 2007 when you get large documents with lots of embeded graphics and such. It has been a characteristic of Word for several versions, and was documented at one point by book authors1 - the suggestion is to do large documents like that in sections. Then you can adopt a main document approach and go from there. My hunch (guess) is that since Word is a 32 bit app you are running into some issues with size and space - it will be interesting to see how the 64-bit version works when it is released.

1 - I got curious where I remembered that from - it was from the book "Hacker's Guide To Word For Windows (Second Edition)" by Vincent Chen, Scott Krueger and none other than our own Woody Leonhard. See page 43 if you can find a copy - circa 1995 when Woody was still a Coloradan.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amakeler View Post
    Well, SHIFT+F9 is sometimes working in my large document for some pictures...

And then for the same pictures for which it was working, it then stops working.
    I can't think of any good reason for that. Are you using {EMBED} fields or {INCLUDEPICTURE} fields, and are they themselves embedded in any other fields?