5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm planning to purchase a new PC. It will have a Windows7 64-bit OS. My choice is between HP and DELL which -here in the Netherlands- have similar product with prices almost identical (resp. HPE-140nl & DELL XPS 8100), both fairly high-end.
    For an extra 30 Euro, DELL provides the system with Windows 7 Prof. (64 bit). Indeed, for OEM installations the price gap between Home Premium and Prof is about 40 dollars (which is around 30 Euros).

HP however comes with Home Premium and I'd really like to get this updated to Prof. Now I called HP here but the guy I got was as flexible as solid rock He didn't know so he couldn't help...
    If I do this myself, Id have to buy the commercial upgrade so I'd rather have HP's OEM upgrade. Then there's the fact that -I thought- all installations of Win7 are indentical and it's the choice made during installation plus the serial that makes the version, right? So I guess that on e.g. HP's recovery partition, all is already there and all I need is a serial (which I'll buy). Alternatively, they can send me a CD too (which I'll buy of course as well).

Is there someone who can advise me on:
    (1) A contact in HP (anywhere... I speak Dutch, English, German no problems) that I could email and/or call and that could help me find out what the possibilities are?
    (2) Any advice on the possibilities to (all legally) convert my Home Premium to Prof for the least amount of work and money and risk...

Thanks!!

PS1. I have another question too... it seems that Win is delivered in Dutch, I want it in English. I've understood that this is a choice one can make once during initial startup. Before I spend my money, I like to verify this. Does anyone have experience with this?

PS2. OK, maybe here's a time and place to also air my frustrations about DELL (to balance the negative experience I had with HP). Actually DELL NL seems much worse than HP (sofar)... it's almost as if they do not want to sell anything. I've sent emails to many people, left voice mails, even sent an email twice to a special escalation mailbox all with absolutely no effect at all. I simply want to buy (two systems actually) and have just a couple of simple questions but I can't get it done. Yes, I called them too and got promises that either were not kept or came too late... When I was finally close to buying, they told me there might be a 6 weeks (no typo!) delivery time... Pity as the price vs what you get is absolutely unmatched for this configuration here... (but the HP comes close). If someone is reading this and has a method I can use to get their attention please let me know... (for the record, I am -or should I say 'was'- not anti-DELL, actually for the last 10+ years I owned DELL systems and have always been happy with that).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't help you with your specific questions but after reading your questions I thought maybe you might consider a different way of looking at things. I didn't look at the models you're considering but I'm assuming they are desktop units. That being said you might see where I'm going with this. Have you considered building your own unit from scratch? It's not that difficult and you can get many tutorials on the web to walk you through it. Plus many people here will be more than willing to walk you through it also. You'll get exactly what you want for perhaps just a little more than you originally are willing to spend. If you know someone who is in school (college) they should be able to get you the OS (32 bit & 64 bit) at a very large discount price (I paid only $7 through my daughter). If you already have an old computer you may be able to recycle some of the hardware (such as the case, optical drive, 3 1/2 floppy which you won't get if you buy the brand name). I bought most of my equipment from e-Bay and many suppliers will ship internationally. To give an example, I built a low-end gaming machine worth about $1100 for $650. I would be happy to share my purchase history with you.

For what it's worth I don't think much of any of the name brands, however I feel that on desktop units Dell is the better choice, but on laptops I'll alway go with a HP. Good luck.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your feedback. Yes, this is about desktops, talking i7-860 / 8Gb RAM / 3Tb HD / BD-reader here... as you see: the works! I did build my own PC in the past, it's nice to 'assemble' the parts and build everything together for sure. There's three reasons why I'm not going there this time (but I'm keeping the option open for the future...):

1. Very often it's quite some work to create a stable system. There's risks that components don't fit together that well, then maybe the drivers 'bite' eachother... all in all, no guarantees. A 'ready-made' commercial system from e.g. DELL or HP is standardized and (somewhat) tested. If there are problems, many have them and there will be fixes. In general you get a working system

2. I still doubt if a self-built system can match the prices that DELL can offer. It might, I agree, but we pay much more for individual components than the big boys do (as they buy them by thousands at a time). I guess that 'compensates' their profit. Als don't forget that each individual component has to be sent (shipping costs)... all-in-all the benefits might be lower than expected

3. Last but not least... time!! I simple don't have that now. In order to do a good job building a PC from scratch one has to do research, read articles, find out what fits together, scan the Net for cheap offers, het the stuff, try to build it, face the problems sketched in (1) above, visit forums to get solutions... Agreed, that's all fun if you have the time, for now I'd rather pay a couple 100 dollars (euros) more and get something that is delivered @ my house and that I can simply 'switch on'...

Still interested in people out there who have advice on Home Premium vs Prof and/or who can help me get to DELL and/or can share their learnings when coping with the poor support (sometimes, I might just have bad luck)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    See if Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade answers you upgrade questions.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I used the "Anytime upgrade" several time during beta and it worked great, but we did not need to provide any payment information.

I have see it done once since the release of Windows 7 and it went as smoothly as it did in Beta.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    I too have used Dell computers over the last 10 years, and have very little complaints other than...
    I don't particularly care for the OEM disks, or the restore partitions that most companies do these days.
    If it's a choice between Dell and HP I would go with Dell, that's my preference.

Nothing beats building your own system;
    doing the research needed to get to a point where you can confidently start
    on the real fun part, The build. The researching of components/compatibilities and driver support is the heaviest part of all.

To answer your question about language; this came up on a post not long ago, you might want to search through here.
    It goes something to the effect: you can specify your language upon 1st clean instal, but cannot change it on the fly. If I remember correctly. If your are concerned about this and worst comes to worst, you can always buy online from a reputable company in the UK, I don't think that will be necessary though.

Home Premium vs Prof
    Home premium is cheaper and you can always upgrade in place to professional later on.
    *One of the few areas were an inplace upgrade is easy, welcome, and usefull.

Persoanlly I would go out of my way and purchase a professional Windows 7 DVD irregardless of price for the simple reason That I dislike OEM and or restore partition instals. The prof upgrade version will do just fine.
    I like a junkware free experience, but decrapifying them is'nt hard.

When trying to get in contact with a company, try doing a simple search for their physical location in the area nearest you.
    Then call to the head office, have them transfer you to the appropriate department. Be Assertive.

Google: "Dell stores+Netherlands" in google maps. Look for telephone numbers in the Addresses.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    See if Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade answers you upgrade questions.

Joe
    I see that buy the upgrade seems to cost me $89... If I have my new PC with HomePremium OEM, will it offer the upgrade for 30 then? If that's the case, I'm happy!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikJan View Post
    I see that buy the upgrade seems to cost me $89... If I have my new PC with HomePremium OEM, will it offer the upgrade for 30 then?
    No, if you go to http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft...p3_WAU_default you will that this Windows 7 of Home Premium to the Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate version.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    I also believe a clean version of Win 7 without the OEM junk that is inevitably installed by manufacturers is better, then you do not have to go through the process of elliminating all the junk. To elliminate this junk look at PC Decrapifier. It seems to be an easy program to rid yourself of this junk. One option is to download the OS from Windows. This will give you the option of language from the start. I do not see where you can get the OS for $30. That price may be a special European edition which does not include a browser, and some other missing features. This option may not be available in English.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I know decrapifyer. I'm not bothered too much by the extra junk, and I can delete most of that manually anyway (I'd like to see myself as fairly experienced so I'm not afraid to do some manual claneing up). The $30 is not European but the price difference between OEM Home Premium and OEM Professional. Look at any larger store that delivers systems with Win7 preinstalled and check out the difference between HomePremium & Prof. it is always in this order of magnitude (non OEMs are more expensive)