4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    At our office we have workgroup templates shared on one of the servers. Most commonly used are letterhead and pleading format. That server is down for a few hours for emergency repairs. I changed their login script to redirect them to the backup location of those workgroup templates. That went okay. But the trouble they have now is opening existing documents that were created based on the templates on the down server. Their Word is hanging up and freezing. Nearly impossible to open some files. I don't believe there's anything I can do with Word or Office to fix this. I've tried before. But maybe there's something I can do temporarily to make the workstations think they can see the down server and old template location. Like maybe in the DNS? Can someone help?
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You may have the Word template directory set to the missing share. Try setting it back to a local disk.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    You may have the Word template directory set to the missing share. Try setting it back to a local disk.

cheers, Paul
    I'm able to change that in workgroup template setting in Word using the Script Logic Desktop Authority login scripting. But what I can't fix with login script is how most of the existing documents they open are pointing to a path on this down server in their Word's Templates and Add-ins setting for Document Template. Screenshot attached is an example of one that is pointing to the originating template on my Omega server (openfilenew.dot). With that server down, Word hangs up when opening the document because it's looking for a template it can't find. I'd say 90% of all Word documents were created with a network shared template where that be this one for opening files, the pleading template, letterhead template, fax template, etc.

Meanwhile, I was able to find a replacement hard drive for my server to get it back up. Then a second one failed over the weekend and had to be replaced too. But I believe we're stable enough now for a short while. And that means the share for the workgroup templates can be found again. But at some point before the year is up I expect this server will be going away for good and I'll still need a way to workaround this issue for all the documents we produce.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Daisy

Lounger
    Thanks
    I saw this once when I decommissioned a server. As you say, Word goes looking for the server where the template was originally stored and it takes about 60 seconds for that to time out. The workaround that I found was to create an entry on the WINS server for the 'missing' server's NetBIOS name and point it at an IP address of a server that exists. Word is happy as long as it can find the machine. It doesn't need to find the template.

Edit to add: If you just want to allow for the machine being off-line occasionally then you could have configured client side caching for your template folder. But hindsight is a wonderful thing ...

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Rather then a WINS entry you could try a DNS CNAME entry.

cheers, Paul