New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Packard Bell computer running Windows 7 as installed. There is one rather unusual problem. If I am running Word 2007 there is a very slow response to my moving the mouse to display the Task Bar (set to auto hide). I can bring up the Task Bar a little faster with the Windows key or with Control/Esc, but response to typing in the Search box or clicking a minimised window is slower than it should be. Word itself seems to be operating at normal speed. If I close Word, Task Bar operation immediately returns to normal. This does not happen with any other programme loaded - all of which allow the Task Bar to show and operate properly.

I have also noticed that Windows Explorer is slow or shows 'Not Responding' when Word is running, and this could be connected to the Task Bar problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what is happening here?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If this is only happening when Word is running it is probably an issue with Word not Windows 7.

Have you tried repairing your Office installation?

Have you checked to see what Word addins are running?

To try running Word with addins disabled see How to use startup command line switches to start Word 2007, Word 2003, Word 2002, and Word 2000.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much - that seems to be the solution. There is an old add-in (PDF Converter) that I no longer use, but is still loading. When I load the program with add-ins disabled it all works perfectly. It looks as if I just have to remove all traces of the add-in.

Thanks for a speedy and (so far!) perfect solution.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 285JS237 View Post
    Thanks very much - that seems to be the solution. There is an old add-in (PDF Converter) that I no longer use, but is still loading. When I load the program with add-ins disabled it all works perfectly. It looks as if I just have to remove all traces of the add-in.

Thanks for a speedy and (so far!) perfect solution.
    You're welcome. If you used PDF Converter to output files as PDF, you don't need it with Office 2007. If yoiu've installed Download details: The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2 (SP2) you can "print" to PDF in various office products.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, that's precisely the case and is why I stopped using it. The program didn't uninstall itself properly and has left me with some junk that is causing the problem. I'm contacting Scansoft to get advice on how to get rid of this. I'm sure that many of the problems on this and other forums are due to odd bits of programs that we forget we installed or that don't remove themselvs properly!

John

Thanks
    It also sounds as though this may be one of those unusual problems that occurs with an in place upgrade rather than a clean install. You always keep any problems that already are present when you do an in place upgrade rather than a fresh clean install. Plus, how old is the PC? Packard Bell has not been around for a while. This may also be a problem that system resources are becoming stretched because there are not enough resources available for the OS and apps to coexist without diving into the virtual memory which is always slower.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It isn't a problem with the computer: it is a new one, bought only two months ago and has plenty of memory! Packard Bell is certainly still around: http://www.packardbell.com/

It is definitely this bit of code that is spending time looking for non-existent files. The softwars suppliers have suggested using their 'remover' program, as the normal uninstall was incomplete. I'm going to try this, but I suspect that the code derives from a template or registry entry that isnot being removed and that I may have to find a way to get rid of this manually.

John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 285JS237 View Post
    It is definitely this bit of code that is spending time looking for non-existent files. The softwars suppliers have suggested using their 'remover' program, as the normal uninstall was incomplete. I'm going to try this, but I suspect that the code derives from a template or registry entry that isnot being removed and that I may have to find a way to get rid of this manually.
    You can try running the free version of Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download. Sometimes it can still find things to uninstall that have been left over.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Sorry, I had not seen them advertised in such a long time I guess I assumed they were kaput. Shame on me for not checking.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy