Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Since a couple of months pages don't load 50% of the time, it seems to get stuck. If I hit refresh a couple of time, suddenly it loads.

I installed FireFox and that has the same problem as my IE8 so I guess it's NOT the browser.

When I download large files, all is fast with no dips in speed, so it's not my router or Internet settings.

Question is... what could it be then???

(Oh, I use a Zonelabs firewall, McAfee SiteAdvisor, AVG antivirus and run MalwareBytes & SuperAntiSpyware & HitmanPro regularly)

Any suggestions?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Check that you're not duplicating the webchecking of SiteAdvisor with a component of AVG. SA can be as much as 6 - 12 months behind with site-checking = pretty useless anyway. WOT would be a better choice.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I started by uninstalling McAfee siteadvisor, I haven't rebooted yet but it doesn't seem to have done anything to help with the delays (in other words: they're still there...)

Thanks
    Have you tried rebooting your router? Sometimes they seem to get bogged down and cause strange browsing behaviour.

You could also try using the OpenDNS servers, either on the PC or the router, this would rule out any ISP DNS problems.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've rebooted my router a couple of weeks back and that didn't seem to help too. Yes, I've been thinking about OpenDNS as well. You said "either on PC or Router", is there a difference? I've more PC's connected to my router, these do not seem to show the page-loading delays... so I guess it's not the router (and I expected it was my PC anyway, it's fast but old, I do clean it up regularly but... and am in the process of buying a new one in the near future). So OpenDNS for my PC, would/could that help then?

Thanks
    Is there any chance you have accidentally set the default IE8 to the 64 Bit edition. This edition is not quite ready for prime time yet. Many pages cannot render or do not have 64 Bit editions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    oh... thanks, I wouldn't know about that but I'd guess it's unlikely as I'm using WinXP Prof 32-bit on my system (although my processor does support some 64-bit operations). If this would still be possible, where could I see that?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikJan View Post
    oh... thanks, I wouldn't know about that but I'd guess it's unlikely as I'm using WinXP Prof 32-bit on my system (although my processor does support some 64-bit operations). If this would still be possible, where could I see that?
    If you are running a 32-bit OS then you must run a 32-bit browser.

Is this a wired or wireless connection?

Have you checked for updated drivers for your NIC?

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's wired... As said, things like l large file-dowloads seem to work flawlessy. Sometimes IE8 (or FireFox, it doesn't matter) work fine for a while, then suddenly it seems as it the 'other side' doesn't send data to build the next page and it can litterally get stuck trying to build the page. When I click "Refresh page" sometimes nothing changes, clicking it some more almost always brings me to a moment where suddenly the page does load in 1 or 2 seconds and all is normal again.

Thanks
    ErikJan, do you periodically clean out all your internet temp and cache files, etc. for both browsers using a program such as CCleaner ? My wife experienced flaky behavior similar to what you describe, and apparently there were some corrupt IE cache files, because after running CCleaner, her issues went away. The caches are maintained to speed up loading of web pages you frequent, but sometimes they get corrupted.

Have you checked Event Viewer logs for errors that coincide with your page freezes?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikJan View Post
    I did not realize you were running XP, I dod not see a mention of this in your original post. In Win7 , IE8 loads both a 32 Bit version and a 64 Bit version. I do not believe the 64 Bit version is available with the upgrade from IE7. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    ErikJan, do you periodically clean out all your internet temp and cache files, etc. for both browsers using a program such as CCleaner ? My wife experienced flaky behavior similar to what you describe, and apparently there were some corrupt IE cache files, because after running CCleaner, her issues went away. The caches are maintained to speed up loading of web pages you frequent, but sometimes they get corrupted.

Have you checked Event Viewer logs for errors that coincide with your page freezes?
    I use CCleaner all the time. And yes I did check the Event Viewer too (but I'll do so again just to make sure) - thanks for the tips

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I did not realize you were running XP, I dod not see a mention of this in your original post. In Win7 , IE8 loads both a 32 Bit version and a 64 Bit version. I do not believe the 64 Bit version is available with the upgrade from IE7. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    You are right, I probably didn't mention that. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your suggestion anyway

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    The availability of a 64-bit version of IE is dependent on the "bitness" of the operating system. If you are running a 32-bit operating system you will have a 32-bit IE only. If you are running a 64-bit operating system you will have 32-bit & 64-bit versions of IE.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello

I got kinda the same problem with internet dropping randomly. I am running a windows xp sp3 desktop(wired connection) and xp laptop(wireless). My desktop randomly drops connection and gives a error "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" and it gives a Diagnose connection problems button, most of the time if i press the diagnose connection button before the network connection utility starts the page I was looking for comes up, If I run the utility it tells me windows cannot find a problem. This also happes in Firefox but it just gives blank pages. My laptop has no problems at all. I have tried system restore, winsock fix, rebooting, reinstalling net adapter.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast