New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've recently done an upgrade from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home premium with almost no problems at all. I tried the much touted restore feature to set up a new restore point and received the following message:
    The Shadow Copy provider had an error. Check the system and Application event logs for more information (0x80042306)

After checking the logs I'm non the wiser, except that I suspect the problem has to do with having deleted the Shadow Copy file in Vista because it was posing problems with Elder Scrolls IV - Oblivion. I've done the upgrade without replacing the Shadow Copy file, and now can't seem to get 7 to set up a new folder. I keep going through the process at each re-boot, because I'm presented with the opportunity to decide on the amount of space set aside for recovery. I go through the process but nothing is ever set up.

I'll be making a clone and backing up with Acronis eventually, but I'd sure like to have the convenience of the improved restore point process in 7 when the odd program install lets me down - don't want to have to go to a full clone install just for something like that. Any ideas?

Love the forum, thanks for the many interesting and useful posts all.

Tel.
    Telling it Like I See it...
    Tel Mack

Thanks
    hi and welome

can you go into event viewer and check for critical error that say app hang app crash. etc. give us the event id source for them.
    type eventvwr in search go to windows log application tab look for critical errors (they have red in the hand column)

ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    Have you checked services to be sure shadow copy is set to start automatically? Click Start, type in services.msc and click on it. Sometimes, if the service is set to Manual it will not start when you need it to.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've attached a coupleof print outs from the error reports - when I clicked on the indicated volume which seems to be causing the problem, it takes me to some individual folders at the bottom of the C drive, but I couldn't find the precise one listed. It seems that it's hanging over some corrupt file and is unable to empty or get past it???

With regard to my other responder - thanks - I could only find ShadowExplorer service, and this indicates that the it's set to Automatic.

Hope this makes more sense to you folks than it does to me, because I'm at a loss...

Many thanks,
    Tel
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Tel Mack

Thanks
    Go to the Device Manager, right click your hard drive, select properties, and Policies tab. See if disk write cache has been disabled for the drive.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Go to the Device Manager, right click your hard drive, select properties, and Policies tab. See if disk write cache has been disabled for the drive.

My Disk drive shows 4 USB drives and one labelled ST3320820AS Each of the USB drives under policies, has the quick removal by default button activated, and beneath that, the 'Enable Better Performance" button is unchecked - it says Enables write chaching to Windows but you must use the Safely Remove Hardware notification icon to disconnect safely.

Policies for the ST3320820AS drive - which I assume is what you were asking about - under 'Write Caching Policy" has 'Enable Write Caching on this device" unchecked. If I try to check it, it throws up an exclamation mark, and a warning which states 'Windows could not change the write caching setting for the device. Your device might not support this feature, or changing this setting.' So I have to leave it unchecked.

Thanks,
    T
    Tel Mack