3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For some weeks now, both my wife and I have gotten the following error when trying to send a POP3 message via Outlook 2007:

Task 'decann - sending' reported error (0x8004210B). The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP).

If it matters with anything, both machines were running on 64-bit Vista Home Premium when it was first noticed, and both have subsequently been upgraded to Windows 7. The problem ONLY has been noted when sending an attachment using Outlook 2007, not a message without one, and no problems at all in receiving with or without an attachment. I finally contacted my service provider (EarthLink) this evening since the error suggests that, and they referred me to Microsoft Article ID 827349 and the following URL:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827349

However, when I go there it ONLY refers to Outlook 2002, which obviously does not apply to me, so am I missing something here or will the "Fix-It" link there work for me?

Before I contact EarthLink once again for another guess, I was hoping someone here could help me get this sorted out. You folks have been very helpful in the past, so maybe one more time. I thank you in advance for any suggestions or help you can offer. Sending attachments is one feature I use quite a lot, so I sure hope we can get the feature back again.

David E. Cann

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    Task 'decann - sending' reported error (0x8004210B). The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet Service Provider (ISP).

both machines were running on 64-bit Vista Home Premium when it was first noticed, and both have subsequently been upgraded to Windows 7. The problem ONLY has been noted when sending an attachment using Outlook 2007, not a message without one, and no problems at all in receiving with or without an attachment.
    David, these kind of problems can be difficult to diagnose, as you can see from this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

Because it's only happening on sent messages with attachments, it suggests to me that there is a problem with message size or virus scanning the attachment. So I recommend that you first look at these two steps in order:

1. Increase the server timeout, as recommended near the bottom of the above page, to at least a minute, or double what you have if already more than a minute
    2. If that doesn't help, turn off virus scanning on outbound messages (or outbound message attachments, if the antivirus application is that specific) and see if that solves the problem

Post back with your results.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBF View Post
    David, these kind of problems can be difficult to diagnose, as you can see from this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514

Because it's only happening on sent messages with attachments, it suggests to me that there is a problem with message size or virus scanning the attachment. So I recommend that you first look at these two steps in order:

1. Increase the server timeout, as recommended near the bottom of the above page, to at least a minute, or double what you have if already more than a minute
    2. If that doesn't help, turn off virus scanning on outbound messages (or outbound message attachments, if the antivirus application is that specific) and see if that solves the problem

Post back with your results.

Your reply caught me on a break from digging out from a near record snowstorm for this area, with more snow due tomorrow so I need to get back out there while the sun is still up. I will definitely try your suggestions this evening when I come in for good, but can you give me step-by-step directions for resetting my router so I can see if that helps as well? A friend suggested that but was unable to give me directions that I could follow or that made sense to me, so I couldn't follow them. I know it involves cross connecting some cables, but I don't know which ones or the steps to follow when I switch them, so I haven't done it.

I thank you for your reply. I will try your suggestions this evening and reply further, but in the meantime if you can give me STEP-BY-STEP directions for resetting my router (a Linksys Wireless-G, and my computer runs on Windows 7 Home Premium if that matters with anything) I would greatly appreciate it.

David E. Cann

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    if you can give me STEP-BY-STEP directions for resetting my router (a Linksys Wireless-G, and my computer runs on Windows 7 Home Premium if that matters with anything) I would greatly appreciate it.
    David, it's always better if you post these kind of "split-off" questions in the appropriate forum, in this case Networking. I have very limited experience with routers, it's been some years since I even set mine up, I usually just shut mine down and restart it, and if that doesn't work I find the manufacturers website, download the instructions, and work from there.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS