Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    A few week ago, I installed Windows 7 32-bit on a laptop. It was a clean installation—I did not install over the original Vista Home Premium. Win7 runs well, but I notice it takes my antivirus software (McAfee) a long, long time to perform a full system scan. The scan has been running about 12 hours, and it reports it's up to just 28%. That seems terribly slow.

As the scan progresses, I notice some of the file names say something like "Windows.old.xxx...." My hunch is that these files are left over from the installation—old Windows Vista files that now serve no purpose. What's the safe and fast way to dump this trash?

Also, can you suggest any other explanation for the slow scanning?

Thanks
    Yes, there's defiately something wrong. I always knew McAfee was slow, but this is a tad bit much. LOL
    Even on the most detailed of settings McAfee will not take even a fraction of the time you are reporting.

Something may have gotten fudged with either your McAfee instalation or your windows instalation.
    Try reinstaling McAfee first, also check the amount of space your operating system is taking. Remember,
    your system with report alittle more than you actually have due to the use of "hard links" but nowhere near
    as large as a 12 hr virus scan needs to run.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Cesear Hi and welcome

A"clean" install would not have a windows.old folder. I might suggest you kill your antivirus and try either Microsoft security essentials or eset's nod32
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Johnston View Post
    Cesear Hi and welcome

A"clean" install would not have a windows.old folder.
    Yes, when clean installing Windows 7 a Windows.old WILL be made when ever there is a existing OS. If there is a clean drive (no OS), then no it will not be made.
    This is a change that was made when Windows 7 came out, the earlier version did NOT.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello, Dave, and thanks for the advice! Back to one of my questions: Can I safely dump the Windows.old stuff? If yes, what's the most efficient way to do that?

Thanks
    You may want to open the folder and drag usable files to your new OS, then simply highlight and chose delete. It should be that simple.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesar3 View Post
    Hello, Dave, and thanks for the advice! Back to one of my questions: Can I safely dump the Windows.old stuff? If yes, what's the most efficient way to do that?
    Did you make sure that your McAfee software is a version that is compatible with Windows 7?

Do you have any other anti-malware software running that does real time scans?

Joe
    Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I suggest you proceed with extreme care in dealing with the windows.old folder (which you may find to be far larger than you realized). While the contents may not be essential, you will find an astonishing amount that is valuable and in many cases irreplaceable. The computer is already running without it, so in that sense you can simply eliminate it, but I suggest you take your time to examine it in detail, and deal with it a little at a time.

Here is one example: you had a set of fonts with your previous installation, and now you have a new set. What if some are missing, such as three instances of Adabi? You will probably want to keep any fonts you have had installed and used in past, and you may find some in windows.old that are not part of your new setup. One thing you might do is move windows.old to a different drive, off the computer itself, if you have one, and you can pick through it over time to see what you might have a use for. You can back it up of course, and then delete it, and you presumably have a backup of the old setup, but that is just something else to consider.