Thread: Index/Match

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I know this has been addressed before, but I can't seem to get it to work for me. In sheet 1, column F, rows 3-723 are contract numbers, many of which are duplicates. In sheet 1, column D, same rows, are the contract parties' names, again many of which are duplicates. I did an advanced sort on sheet 2, column A, beginning at row 2, to sort the unique contract numbers from sheet 1, column F, rows 3-723, and the result were "unique" contract numbers in rows 2-72 in column A on sheet 2. What I would like to do in sheet 2, column B, beginning at row 2 is match the contract party's name (as found on sheet 1, column D, rows 3-723) with its respective contract number, as listed now at rows 2-72, column A, sheet 2.

I tried the formula "INDEX('Sheet1'!$F$3:$F$723,MATCH(A2,'Sheet1'!$D$3 :$D$723,0)) in cell B2 of sheet 2, but got an "#N/A" result.

Any ideas?

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Never mind, figured it out. The references to the columns on sheet 1 should be reversed: "INDEX('Sheet1'!$D$3:$D$723,MATCH(A2,'Sheet1'!$F$3 :$F$723,0))"