New Lounger
    Thanks
    Normally, I use firefox on my computer - but I share my computer with my family, and my dad for some reason cannot bother to learn firefox, so he still uses internet explorer. I recently just installed win7, so he had yet to use the computer until today. I know my system had internet explorer 8 to begin with, because that's what I used to download the setup files for firefox...but today, when my dad went to use the computer, he said he couldn't find internet explorer 8. Puzzled, I thought it might just be the new file system of win7 that led to some confusion. But lo and behold, Internet Explorer 8 is nowhere to be found. It isn't in the start menu, the programs and features menu, and it is also not listed anywhere when I typed in "internet explorer" in the start menu searchbar. The only remnants of it, as it appears, is in the program files folder, where it only lists 2 .exe's: "ieinstal.exe", and "ielowutil.exe". I've tried running both of these files normally, and as the administrator, but nothing happens (I double-click the icons, it seems like the command was registered, but nothing happens).

So my two questions are:
    1) how did this even happen? Personally I wouldn't have even noticed it was gone if it weren't for my dad...but I'm curious as to how IE8 could just "uninstall itself"
    2) why aren't the .exe files in the program files>internet explorer folder opening? I know I could probably download IE8 again from microsoft, but this troubles me...

~Any help is appreciated!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You might check to see if its been turned off somehow. To do that, go to Control Panel>Programs and features and there's a Turn Windows features on or off link on the left side. Click on it, give it time to load and see if IE8 is unchecked. Also maybe try a different or new user account and see if it behaves the same way or not.

Don't otherewise have an idea about how it could disappear on its own.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I do not know where you are, but didn't MS have to remove IE from Windows 7 for the European Market?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks so much for your replies guys! I'm in the US, and Byron Tarbox was right on the money! I must've disabled it by accident when I was going through the windows features menu...silly me! I might add though, the feature to turn off certain windows functions is quite genial!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post
    Thanks so much for your replies guys! I'm in the US, and Byron Tarbox was right on the money! I must've disabled it by accident when I was going through the windows features menu...silly me! I might add though, the feature to turn off certain windows functions is quite genial!
    Matters are further complicated by the fact that there is a 64-bit IE8 as well as the 32-bit, if you picked that up along the way. I happen to have both installed on my Windows 7N installation, N being the European version which was available to me and which I installed without my realizing the difference at the time, and on which I subsequently installed both 32- and 64-bit versions of IE. You needn't be in any hurry to install the 64-bit version, though, as it has numerous limitations even if it is probably 'safer', although it's definitely worth keeping an eye on for the future if you have 64-bit Windows.

Thanks
    I agree, the 64 bit version of IE will cause more problems that it's worth, FOR NOW. Many web sites are unable to render under the 64 bit environment. However, just like the 64 bit OS, as time goes on 64 bit will become the mainstream app, and 32 Bit may indeed go the route of 16 Bit. Don't get rid of 64 Bit IE, just put it in "cold storage" until more is available to utilize it's capabilities.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy