Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This is weird. A few weeks back, I reinstalled Office 2007 on my wife's laptop. This was immediately after I'd I replaced the OS (I clean-installed Win7 on a Gateway laptop that had shipped with Windows Vista Home Premium). Today I noticed something odd about her Outlook: There's no "Personal Folders" folder, and she has two "Archive Folders"! When I click the "All Outlook items" label in the navigation pane, I displays "Archive Folders" twice.

I'm thinking I must have really screwed up when I installed Office. What do you think? Now, how do I un-screw this installation? How do I get a "Personal Folders" folder? Naturally, she wants to create custom personal folders to store some of her messages. I could be in trouble here, y'know....

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Are you sure you don't have a personal folder that has simply been closed? Do a search of the hard drive and see if you don't find a file called Outlook.pst. If you do, then you should be able to open that file in Outlook (right-click on Personal Folders and choose open). If you don't find one, then you can create a new pst file by right clicking on Personal Folders and choose New Folder. Of course you also need to make sure mail is being delivered to that folder.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the response, Wendell. I followed your tips and here's what I found:

1. I searched for "Outlook.pst," and found no such folder.

2. I've looked in her Outlook application for "Personal Folders," but there is no such item to click on.

In the folder list, I see two separate "Archive Folders," but they are not identical. (Just now I noticed their icons are different!) I've never set up Outlook that did not have a "Personal Folder" in the folder list! How'd I do this? And how do I add a Personal Folder?

Added: I started plundering around and found the "Data Management..." button. Here I see I can add a new storage area, and the default choice is to add a "Personal Folders" (pst) folder. Am I on the right track? (See the second attachment.)

I also see where those two Archive folders originate. One is a backup location on a network drive; the other is an Outlook 97-2003 archive folder. It appears I imported both these from the pre-Windows 7 era.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Because you have your personal folders scrolled, your screenshot doesn't show where the Inbox in the list is located, but it must be in a personal folder somewhere, and I would guess that it is the Personal Folder called Outlook in your "Create or Open Outlook Data File" dialog box that is the active window. Note that your Inbox shows 4 unread messages, so they have to be stored somewhere.
    Wendell

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Wendell, thanks again. Since my last post, I did some exploring and...well, I just held my nose and jumped in. I created a Personal Folders folder--that is, a new storage area. Call me crazy, but heretofore, all her incoming mail was going into the Inbox in both Archive folders! The two Archive folders you see in the screenshot in my previous post were the only mail storage containers available.

I created the Personal Folders folder and moved all her e-mail messages into the new Inbox. I think the crisis is over, and I thank you for helping me think it through.