3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When raising a post relating to Windows Secrets columns, could the OP give an indication in title of the thread indicate whether it is a Paid Content column or a free content column?
    Something along the lines of

Even well-guarded PCs may get infected (Free Content)
    MS Security Essentials: right-sized protection? (Paid Content)

It would help me know whether it's worth following up a particular title or not. I understand that as an old 'Lounger' I have got a temporary subscription to Windows Secrets content, but I'm not going to continue to subscribe whenever that period finishes.

What do other people think?

Brian Livingston
    The Lounge has a limit of 48 characters for the title of a post, and this is also the limit for headlines in the Windows Secrets Newsletter. Among other things, 48 characters is the maximum number that Firefox will display in an RSS feed in a toolbar, and there are many other reasons, I'm sure.

Due to the character count, there isn't room in the titles of posts in the Windows Secrets Columns forum (where comments on the columns live) to add extra phrases to the headlines. However, the free articles are always listed first each week, and the paid articles second, so it should be easy to see where one ends and the other begins.

Another way to see which content is free and which is paid is to glance at our Library page:

WindowsSecrets.com/library/

Expand any issue or all issues, and each item of paid content is followed by a gold bullet. An image like this cannot appear in a Lounge title, unfortunately, but the image is included in the Library listing for every published column.

Finally, you can always get the paid content without paying any fixed fee. Thanks to Windows Secrets' "contribution model," you can enter any amount, whatever it's worth to you, and get all the paid content for a full year. Obviously, it's worth something, or you wouldn't have any interest in this subject at all! We hope you do get something out of the paid columns, though. Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    The Lounge has a limit of 48 characters for the title of a post, and this is also the limit for headlines in the Windows Secrets Newsletter. Among other things, 48 characters is the maximum number that Firefox will display in an RSS feed in a toolbar, and there are many other reasons, I'm sure........
    " free" and " paid" are each 5 characters. I'm sure that - given the space constraints folks would easily be able to understand the abbreviation. The word " content" (8 characters) seems unnecessary.

In other words , would constraining the Windows Secrets Columns (themselves) to 43 characters significantly blur the impact of the stories?
    Gre

Thanks
    Using the 'Thread description' is another solution: MS Security Essentials: right-sized protection? Windows Secrets Lounge

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    Finally, you can always get the paid content without paying any fixed fee. Thanks to Windows Secrets' "contribution model," you can enter any amount, whatever it's worth to you, and get all the paid content for a full year. Obviously, it's worth something, or you wouldn't have any interest in this subject at all! We hope you do get something out of the paid columns, though. Thanks.
    I have a real issue with this. Though relatively rare, there are occasions when I would love to be able to access the WS paid content but being long term disabled I am, and have been for a some considerable time, on a very low income so don't have much spare cash to bandy around. As I cannot afford what I believe I believe that content would be worth the 'shame' of being thought a cheapskate, if only in my own eyes, deters me from signing up to pay a pittance.