Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherboards

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Hello All,
    I have been considering changing my original motherboard (HP pavilion a6167c desktop) to one that has more outputs for hard drives and / cd-dvd /rw etc. As i now have 3 mounted hard drives and two cd-dvd /read write . I only can keep two of my hard drives powered up as my motherboard has only 4 outputs, and have to switch between my main C: unit and my Experimental drive. (switching cables is a pain as i do this most frequently) and probably not good for the connectors either.After looking at the usual sites newegg, directron, tiger direct, etc. there seems to be a "gazillion choices" Bundled ...or not, socket types, memory stuff, CPU type, etc. I have a 750W corsair power supply and use a PCI express Asus ENGT240 VGA card . I am not a "Gamer" and i would appreciate any advice (other than go away) on some choices that im sure some of YA-All (a little southern lingo) have already made . Also the price on these things are all over the place 79.99$ to over 600.00$ Please have mercy on me and forgive some..... (not all) of my past "rants" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello All,
    I have been considering changing my original motherboard (HP pavilion a6167c desktop) to one that has more outputs for hard drives and / cd-dvd /rw etc. As i now have 3 mounted hard drives and two cd-dvd /read write . I only can keep two of my hard drives powered up as my motherboard has only 4 outputs, and have to switch between my main C: unit and my Experimental drive. (switching cables is a pain as i do this most frequently) and probably not good for the connectors either.After looking at the usual sites newegg, directron, tiger direct, etc. there seems to be a "gazillion choices" Bundled ...or not, socket types, memory stuff, CPU type, etc. I have a 750W corsair power supply and use a PCI express Asus ENGT240 VGA card . I am not a "Gamer" and i would appreciate any advice (other than go away) on some choices that im sure some of YA-All (a little southern lingo) have already made . Also the price on these things are all over the place 79.99$ to over 600.00$ Please have mercy on me and forgive some..... (not all) of my past "rants" Regards Fred
    Could you get a couple of USB Hard Disk caddies instead? Just a thought

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfamily View Post
    Could you get a couple of USB Hard Disk caddies instead? Just a thought
    Gfamily,
    Hello, thanks for you thought. I'm also running short on "USB-2"ports as well . Also the "disk caddy" solution seems somewhat of a "clumsy" way of doing things. Would much prefer a clean internal installation. I'm not even sure that they make motherboards with more than 4 outputs for drives? Just starting to investigate this . Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    You just plan on replacing the board, or the cpu too?
    You will have to make sure the hardware your planing to keep will be able to run on any new board you
    decide to get. Newegg is the best place to browse hardware as it's all in one place. I suggest you begin by going
    through a process of elimination.

EDIT
    You can get up to 8 or more SATA drives on newer MBs, 6 is typically the standard though.
    USB ports are more than plentifull, up to 10 or more.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    You just plan on replacing the board, or the cpu too?
    You will have to make sure the hardware your planing to keep will be able to run on any new board you
    decide to get. Newegg is the best place to browse hardware as it's all in one place. I suggest you begin by going
    through a process of elimination.

EDIT
    You can get up to 8 or more SATA drives on newer MBs, 6 is typically the standard though.
    USB ports are more than plentifull, up to 10 or more.
    CLiNT,
    Hello, thanks for your input . Im not sure at this point as what is the best way for me to proceed new CPU / vs use the old? (AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+) I would just like input from all who have any ideas, or have actually have done this, or something similar. I will continue to "browse" all the vendors for input Thank you .Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    You shouldn't have any problems finding cpu & mobo combo's in either the intel or amd based chipsets.
    AMD will probably deliver more bang for the buck, since that is what you already have.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    You shouldn't have any problems finding cpu & mobo combo's in either the intel or amd based chipsets.
    AMD will probably deliver more bang for the buck, since that is what you already have.
    CLiNT,
    Do you think it possible that i can re-use the CPU and the memory sticks? Provided that i get a mobo that has the same socket. I have never tried to remove a CPU and not sure how you would do that without damaging it? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A new motherboard inevitably means RAM and CPU.
    You could just put a new hard disk controller in and save money.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Not only would you have to find a board that has the same cpu socket, (easy enough) but you would also have to ensure
    the ram is compatible as well. As well as your gfx card, etc etc. It should'nt be a problem, but make sure that you are as
    thorough as possible in looking into various compatabilities.

Noteworthy

Removing the cpu is just another procedure:
    Google: AMD+cpu +removal
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    A new motherboard inevitably means RAM and CPU.
    You could just put a new hard disk controller in and save money.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Hello and thank you for the response. Could you explain the basics of a "Disk controller" and where is it installed? Have only one extra socket on mobo.Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Not only would you have to find a board that has the same cpu socket, (easy enough) but you would also have to ensure
    the ram is compatible as well. As well as your gfx card, etc etc. It should'nt be a problem, but make sure that you are as
    thorough as possible in looking into various compatabilities.

Noteworthy

Removing the cpu is just another procedure:
    Google: AMD+cpu +removal
    CLiNT,
    Thanks for the links and advice, will check them out ! Regards Fred Checked them out .....Awesome! Thanks Again
    PlainFred

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    A hard disk controller is the bit that you connect the hard disk cable to on the motherboard. You can get an extra one that will plug into a slot on the motherboard, giving you more hard disk SATA ports.
    This is what they look like.

cheers, Paul

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    A hard disk controller is the bit that you connect the hard disk cable to on the motherboard. You can get an extra one that will plug into a slot on the motherboard, giving you more hard disk SATA ports.
    This is what they look like.

cheers, Paul
    Paul,
    Thanks for the "heads up" i wasn't aware of this option i will check it out further (think the only available "slot" is blocked by my VGA card) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    That Controller Card looks pretty decent, I hadn't thought of that before. That would probably be the best way to
    go about it. Sure beats changing out a mobo if you don't realy need to.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Lounger
    Thanks
    You may be running out of power with too many drives. If you really want much more storage, why not look at a NAS (network attached storage) unit. It's own power, a fast ethernet link, and easily transferable when you upgrade,

Here's a few, google around where you are. click here

Or even more adventurous, build your own NAS with free software click here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast