4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just got a 'spamware" popup by the name of "PC Protection Center". I deleted it from the processes and C:\program files\

I don't get that particular popup anymore, but I'm getting some others when I'm in Firefox.

Norton is up to date and currently running a scan.

Any suggestions or links would be appreciated.

Thanks
    When you see something like that pop up, close your browser using the Task Manager. Some of the antivirus scams will load trojans and other nasties into your system if you click anywhere on them in an attempt to close them.

As another check to eliminate as many traces of infection as possible, download Malwarebytes Anti-malware Free Edition, install it and run a scan in Safe Mode. You can find it here . The free edition is for use "on demand" and does not have active protection, so it will not conflict with Norton.

Another good one to use for this purpose is SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition, available here . I have used both programs to complement one another in searching out all traces of these type infections. I worked on two computers last week infected with similar malware, and on both computers Task Manager, antivirus and antispyware apps were disabled by the malware. The easiest way to attack it is to use Safe Mode to run scans (Safe Mode allowed usage of the antivirus/antispyware software that was disabled in normal mode) or restore a recent image backup of the partition. You can also do a search on the specific malware for effective solutions to eradicate all traces of infection.

Another layer of protection is to install Adblock Plus and NoScript addons to Firefox on Mozilla's web site here . These can help reduce vulnerability to ads and scripts. You might also consider installing the Web Of Trust (WOT) addon that is available for Firefox there as well. This rates web sites and identifies known dangerous sites for malware. WOT is also available for IE and some other browsers.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wink

Hi :

Difficult to say WHAT may be on your computer !? I will mention that
    Norton had the worse "Result" in the most recent "Retrospective/
    proactive" ( the degree of effectiveness of keeping malware OFF a
    computer ) Testing done by the Independent Researchers at
    www.av-comparatives.org ( 36% and only an "Advanced" Certification
    Level ) .

You did not mention specifics of your Operating System or which
    specific Norton program you have !? Or IF you use other malware
    fighting programs, such as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and/or
    "SUPERAntiSpyware", BOTH of which come in a FREE Version !?

Did not mention IF you use any Firefox AddOns and/or Extensions !?
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would also suggest using WinPatrol on all your computers. The Free version is a very useful addition to your PC Protection.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently had a malware scare, or something, and every man and his dog recommended Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware.

I run the paid-for Kaspersky Internet Security 2010, but no way would it allow me to download these free tools.

I thought about temporarily exiting Kaspersky, then downloading them, but stopped myself at the last minute.

Can you imagine the conniption fit Kaspersky would have had on later finding out what I'd done?

Russia versus USA - World War 3. Armageddon. On my machine. Forget it.

When my Kaspersky licence runs out, I'm loading this laptop with free antimalware and using it manually.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Maghully :

According to the Kaspersky Support Forum; to download Malwarebytes
    and other programs, you should :

"1)Open KIS
    2)Click on "My Security Zone" at the Left of the Screen
    3)Click on "Application Activity" small writting in Blue near the top centre of the screen
    4)Under "Category" click on the drop-down arrow and choose , I would guess "Blocked" in your case, Right-Click on the File in Q. and then Click on "Change Status" and Select "Trusted" "
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Robin.

What you're describing there is for programs already installed, and then blocked from running by Kaspersky.

Kaspersky won't even let me download them, never mind install and run them.

I'm sure there'll be a way of doing it, but I like things easy, at the moron level, so I'll just stay as I am for the time being.

My KIS licence runs out in a couple of months. When it does, then I'll obliterate any remnant of KIS and install the freeware.

I suppose I could do it today, but I'm such a skinflint I'm determined to get my money's worth - 2 months is worth about 4 quid!

Cheers Robin.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Taylor View Post
    I will mention that Norton had the worse "Result" in the most recent "Retrospective/proactive" ( the degree of effectiveness of keeping malware OFF a computer ) Testing done by the Independent Researchers at www.av-comparatives.org ( 36% and only an "Advanced" Certification Level ) .
    That test measures what would happen if you didn't let Norton update itself for seven days. Usually, unless you engage in high risk activity, frequent updates should avoid the infections suffered in the AV Comparatives test.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I use AVG Network and have the free Malwarebytes as my backup malware killer. I have had very few problems, but when AVG can't kill it, Malwarebytes does. Some other great tools are Dimio's DtaskManager, and Sysinternals' autoruns to stop rogue processes and let you delete the folder listed in programs associated with the fake alert or pop-up. Another cool tool is ffunlocker from diamondcs.com which unlocks files so they can be deleted. There is another great unlocker program I got from the free stuff list on the main windowssecrets.com website, but haven't used it in awhile.