2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I open Excel 2007 the first file I open which includes a macro, the enable/disable macros dialog does not appear. I cannot run any macros in the file. It does not mater whether it is a XLSM file or a XLS file. It does not mater how I open it: Double clicking from the desktop or windows explorer, opening Excel first and picking from the MRU or opening Excel first and using the "file open" dialog. The second file which contains a macro opens correctly, displaying the macro security dialog. It does not mater how I open the second file. It does not seem to matter how many workbooks I have opened which do not contain macros. Always the first file with a macro misbehaves. This problem is repeatable.

I have Office 2003 and Excel 2007 installed on this machine. I have not tried this with an Office 2007 only install. Most of our machines still run Office 2003. We are preparing to upgrade to Office 2007 and I am testing macros before we commit.

Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When you first open the file, with a new instance of Excel (ie you just started Excel), a yellow band will appear above the column headers notifying you that there is blocked content - much like IE's block content warning.. If that band does not appear, go to the Office button, choose Excel Options. go to the Trust Center, click on the [Trust CenterSetting...] button. click on Macro Settings and choose the setting you want.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, got that. I never saw the "blocked content" security warning above the row headers before, though apparently it was there until I went to the VBA IDE.

But why is the behavior not consistent? (silly me, M$ programmed it) Sometimes the securty dialog pops up and sometimes there is a security dialog between the ribon and the row headers. Now I notice that I do not get the popup security dialog until after I have gone to the VBA IDE. That most likely was the behavior before, but I never saw the "blocked content" warning.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    If the VBE is open, you get a dialog, if not, you get the security bar.
    If you open an addin, you always get the dialog.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. Now it is clearer to me. I would open a workbook, ignore the security bar, and open the IDE. The security bar would disapear, but when I tried to run a macro the dialog would appear.

Now I can work with this. Thanks again.