New Lounger
    Thanks
    Installing the Cumulative Security Update for IE8 for Win 7 (KB978207) results in IE opening, but immediately a dialog box opens that eventually states that IE has stopped working and must be closed. Can't get to tools to check for security settings...grayed out. Had to use System Restore to undo the Update. This is a fairly new Win7 (32 bit) Dell Vostro desktop with IE8 as the originally installed browser. Any ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Polasko View Post
    Installing the Cumulative Security Update for IE8 for Win 7 (KB978207) results in IE opening, but immediately a dialog box opens that eventually states that IE has stopped working and must be closed. Can't get to tools to check for security settings...grayed out. Had to use System Restore to undo the Update. This is a fairly new Win7 (32 bit) Dell Vostro desktop with IE8 as the originally installed browser. Any ideas?
    Cumulative updates are huge patches that sometimes cause isolated problems. Unfortunately you seem to have found one of these times. See the "How to obtain help and support for this security update" section at MS10-002: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer. You can get free support from Microsoft for security patches.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Cumulative updates are huge patches that sometimes cause isolated problems. Unfortunately you seem to have found one of these times. See the "How to obtain help and support for this security update" section at MS10-002: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer. You can get free support from Microsoft for security patches.

Joe
    Having sent a description of the IE8 problem to Microsoft Customer Support, I received a reply (see further down for an excerpt).
    I sent the following back to MS support today...

"In regards to IE8 not functioning after KB978207 is installed:

Today I uninstalled IE8, (system restart), reinstalled IE8, (system restart) on my wife's Windows 7 (home premium) Dell Vostro desktop (see Step 3 below).
    IE8 worked (without KB978207 installed) as it always did.

I again installed update KB978207. Update installed successfully. Restarted system.
    IE8 no longer works....No change from the original problem...as IE8 still does not function with KB978207 installed.
    A dialogue box appears with "IE has stopped working, checking for a solution" - none found - and IE8 must be closed.

I uninstalled the specific update (KB978207 using Step 1 below), restarted the PC, and IE8 works.

Just for an experiment, I unchecked the box "Enable Protected Mode" under the Tools/Security tab of IE8 of the Internet zone and closed IE8.
    (Restarted IE8 to see that the Protected Mode box is not checked.) I again installed the update, successfully. Restarted the PC, and IE8 does not work.

Used step 1 below to uninstall KB978207 and restarted the system. IE8 works fine.

At this point, I will have my wife continue to use IE8 without the offending update until I download Firefox to her PC (install and configure) and teach her to use Firefox as her new default browser.

Ed P

----- Original Message ----- (from MS Customer Support)
    This issue seems to have occurred because of the corruption with the system files related to Internet Explorer.

Please follow these steps, and do contact us if you have any question.

Step 1:- Uninstalling the specific update which is causing the problem
    1. Open Windows Update by clicking the Start button. In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.
    2. In the left pane, click View update history.
    3. Under the Review your update history, click on Installed Updates.
    4. Now right click on the update which is causing the problem and click uninstall.
    5. After uninstalling restart the computer and check for the issue.

If Step 1 does not resolve the issue, please proceed with Step 2.

Step 2:- Check the recent update and uninstall the Windows update from the control panel.
    1. Open Programs and Features by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking Programs, and then clicking Programs and Features.
    2. In the left pane, click on the View installed updates link.
    3. Select the specific Windows Update that we need to uninstall, and click on the Uninstall toolbar button.
    4. After uninstalling the updates, Restart the PC and check for the issue.

If Step 2 does not resolve the issue, please proceed with Step 3.

Step 3:- Uninstalling and Reinstalling Internet Explorer 8
    To Uninstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:
    1. Close all programs.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
    4. In the tasks pane, click Turn Windows features on or off.
    5. In the list of windows features, clear the check box next to Internet Explorer 8.
    6. You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

Internet Explorer 8 will now be uninstalled. The system needs to be restarted after the un-installation completes.

To Reinstall Internet Explorer 8, follow these steps:
    1. Close all programs.
    2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    3. Under Programs, click Uninstall a program.
    4. In the tasks pane, click Turn Windows features on or off.
    5. In the list of windows features, select the check box next to Internet Explorer 8.
    6. You receive a warning message in a pop-up window. Click Yes.

Internet Explorer 8 will now be installed back. The system needs to be restarted after the installation completes.

If Step 3 does not resolve the issue, please proceed with Step 4 as you have already performed earlier.....
    (Step 4 was to perform a System Restore...which was my original solution to restore IE8 functionality the very first time KB978207 was installed.)

Sigh,
    Ed

New Lounger
    Thanks
    MS Customer Support had more "Action Plans" for me to try. Done 2/20/10.
    Bottom line...none worked. The cumulative update (KB978207) still disables IE8.
    Need to uninstall the update to restore IE8 to functionality.
    See details in MSword doc I sent back to MS Customer Support.

[attachment=88192:Hi Umakant - MS.doc]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can't get the MSword file to upload, oh well...summary as follows:
    System Update Readiness Tool not offered/available, hence my portion of Windows Update is OK.
    (Suspected this since update KB978207 always installs OK, even though the update disables IE8).
    Turning off Windows firewall has no effect on the update installation, nor the IE8 disabling result.
    Disabling AVAST AntiVirus has no effect on the IE8 successful install but disabling effect.
    The Fixit Tool at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978207 was also of no help.
    Ran full system scans using AVAST anti-virus and MalwareBytes anti-malware. Both scans finished clean, finding no problems.
    I ran sfc /scannow. Only file not OK or fixed was tcpmon.ini. Extracted tcpmon.ini from Dell supplied Win 7 disk and replaced it in Windows/system32 folder.
    So far, nothing has worked.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    2/26/10 update...AVAST anti-virus uninstalled in favor of Microsoft Essentials (per MS Action Plan), but no effect on IE 8 - update kb978207 conflict.
    IE 8 (with kb978207) works in Safe Mode with Networking, but not in Clean Boot or Normal start modes. Hmmm, a MS file conflict or corrupted file?
    Having run sfc scannow, the only unrepaired file reported was tcpmon.ini, and that file has been replaced by one extracted from my Dell Win7 OEM CD.
    However the extracted tcpmon.ini is also reported by sfc /scannow as being "hash" and unrepairable. File looks OK in a text editor, as did the original.
    Creating a new (with administrator permissions) user account still does not allow for IE 8 (with kb978207) to function even in "No add-ons" mode.
    The ball/puck is back in MS Customer Supports court/ice.

Thanks
    Found this...http://www.askwoody.com/2010/msdefcon-2-ms10002/
    And this...http://securitycenterblog.shavlik.co...sday-overview/

I've tried to google for similar problems and I can't find anything, which leads me to believe that something about your setup is amiss.
    Sorry I can't offer more.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just got off the phone (about an hour-long session) with a MS Customer Support tech.
    Allowed her access to my Windows 7 32-bit desktop system via MS Easy Assist.
    Bottom line is that even she was unable to get IE8 to function on my system with cumulative update KB978207 (MS10-002) installed.
    I get the notion that MS will stop offering MS10-002, until they can address the issues (not only the one I encountered).

Also, my system would not function with cumulative update KB977165 (MS10-015), as on re-boot "Windows Explorer Stopped Working"
    and goes into a loop of attempting to restart windows explorer...forcing a System Restore and restart to make the system functional.
    I scanned my ststem with MSSE and the Kaspersky TDSSKiller (for a rootkit infection) and both finished clean.

The MS tech said that MS10-015 has known problems (beyond the BSOD issue if your system is infected with a rootkit virus).
    MS10-015 may also be re-offered (after MS determines a fix) at a later date.

Both offending updates MS10-002 and 015 are now "hidden" in my Windows Update.

Bottom line, If you can't run IE with MS10-002, you system may not be the problem.
    Also beware of MS10-015, it has (serious) issues as well, even if your system is not infected with a rootkit virus.
    So (temporarily) ends my 2 weeks of MS update he**.

Thanks to all who assisted me on this site and to those who viewed my posts.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So did Ed Polasko ever get any resolution to his issue above of KB978207? I have the identical issues on all 4 of my Windows 7 Home Premium computers that I have been working on solving with MS Customer Support since last February when KB978207 was first released and although I keep bugging them about my issue to keep them from closing it, it has been escalated several times without success and they have basically "given up on me" so my only option has been to uninstall KB978207 and keep it hidden. Interesting that there have been two other IE8 Cumulative Security Updates issued since February that have superseded KB978207, the most recent one last week which is KB982381 which causes me the same problems, identical to what Ed describes above.

So now I have KB982381 uninstalled and hidden which automatically shows KB978207 as also hidden since I guess it is incorporated in KB982381. Anyway, I can only continue to function with IE8 if they are uninstalled so I am curious if Ed also still has the problems or if a solution was found that MS Customer Support has just not shared with me yet?

Thanks, Jim Walker