Lounger
    Thanks
    On my (newish) Win 7 machine, I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 running and I use it to handle all of my security needs. From time to time, I've gotten several Windows requests to update Windows Defender, even tho' I didn't even know it was running. Today, such a request let me click thru to Defender's settings, and I disabled all of its automatic scans. (I didn't know THOSE had been running, either! Ack!)

1) I am wondering if I should leave it alone for now. I always read that Kaspersky asks that all other similar products be disabled. Will Windows Defender being on the computer cause any problems? Even if I think it's not doing anything? (I've got a bad record here of Not Knowing...)

2) Secondly, where the heck IS it, anyway? I can't find Windows Defender in the list of programs nor when I go into the Control Panel--> Uninstall Programs list.

J. Hensley
    "I'm never in denial." -- D. Rhine

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi J.Hensley.

To quote Woody Leonhard from his Windows 7 all-in-one for Dummies Book: "Where's Defender? Although Windows Defender occupies a prominent place on the XP and Vista start menus, in Windows 7 it's buried. If Windows Defender finds something wrong, it raises an alarm in the action centre. At that point, you can click a link and open windows Defender. If you just want to see how Defender's doing, it's hard to find. Here's how to open it: Choose Start, and then immediately type defe and press enter."

I have KIS 2010 running on my Vista machine, and Windows Defender carries on as usual; no problems.

I have Defender quick scan automatically every day, and automatically download the KB 915597 update which arrives about twice a week.

Kaspersky disables Windows Firewall, and won't tolerate any other antimalware, but it doesn't seem to mind Windows Defender. Don't know why.

I like Defender's ability to squelch start up programs. You can disable or enable stuff without deleting it by using the Software Explorer link.

You should definately buy Windows 7 all-in-one for Dummies by Woody Leonhard. I have, and I haven't even got a Windows 7 machine yet!

Hope this is of help, J. Hensley. Cheers.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Hensley View Post
    On my (newish) Win 7 machine, I have Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 running and I use it to handle all of my security needs. From time to time, I've gotten several Windows requests to update Windows Defender, even tho' I didn't even know it was running. Today, such a request let me click thru to Defender's settings, and I disabled all of its automatic scans. (I didn't know THOSE had been running, either! Ack!)

1) I am wondering if I should leave it alone for now. I always read that Kaspersky asks that all other similar products be disabled. Will Windows Defender being on the computer cause any problems? Even if I think it's not doing anything? (I've got a bad record here of Not Knowing...)

2) Secondly, where the heck IS it, anyway? I can't find Windows Defender in the list of programs nor when I go into the Control Panel--> Uninstall Programs list.

J. Hensley
    I use MSE which disables Windows Defender since it has all the capabilities of Defender. When I look for Windows Defender, I do not find an uninstall. I can find Windows Defender in Windows Explorer, but suspect it is disabled to such an extent it can not be easily seen. I suspect that when it is disabled, it is no longer listed in Add/Remove programs. Revo Uninstaller also does not see it. I have to believe that Kaspersky has similar requirements and has disabled Defender in a similar fashion.

I followed the advice from Maghully Back and typed Defe in search. Clicking on Windows Defender opens a window which states Defender is presently turned off, and gives an option to turn on the program.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, all, for the useful suggestions. Also, thanks to Woody for this forum, and for the tips in his book!

Ted, just a minor point: Defender was definitely running (I saw the scan results) with Kaspersky also continuously running. That is, it was not disabled by Kas.

Yours,

J. Hensley
    "I'm never in denial." -- D. Rhine