Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying to find out what changes msconfig makes in order to effect a "Diagnostic Startup - load basic devices and services only".
    I'm wanting to be able to achieve this without manually resorting to using the MSCONFIG utility.
    I'm guessing it's some sort of combination of switches in BOOT.INI, and possibly some changes elsewhere.
    Does anybody have this info please?

Alan

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanMiller View Post
    I'm trying to find out what changes msconfig makes in order to effect a "Diagnostic Startup - load basic devices and services only".
    I'm wanting to be able to achieve this without manually resorting to using the MSCONFIG utility.
    I'm guessing it's some sort of combination of switches in BOOT.INI, and possibly some changes elsewhere.
    Does anybody have this info please?
    That sure reads like safe mode. See How to troubleshoot configuration errors by using the System Configuration utility in Windows XP for more details.

Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    That sure reads like safe mode.
    That explains why I couldn't find anything about diagnostics other than safe mode. Perhaps I thought it was yet another mode, since the usual dialog didn't appear upon reboot (as it does when safe mode is invoked by F8). Anyway, that makes things clearer and easier for what I'm trying to do.

Alan