Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I got hit with a strange one this morning. A client some 600 miles away had an issue where we could not connect - in fact it failed within seconds of attempting. I had them do a restart of the server, and I still could not connect. However the manager at the site did some tinkering and noted that there were no connections showing when you clicked on Connections under Terminal Services Configuration. So they right clicked and chose the Create New Connection option, and then we were able to login using RDP. I can't find any indication in any of the logs that there was some sort of failure during the restart, and this server has been in place and running since late 2005. Has MS put out updates that broke something? Has anyone else seen this issue?
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did the client accept the default "Install updates and restart" option when they restarted the server?

I have seen multiple times that you have to restart SBS 2003 twice after installing (some) windows updates in order to restore RDP connections.

I call it the Grey Screen of Death -- there is nothing in the event logs, but the only symptom I have found is that after the first restart the console screen (locally) shows a plain grey screen, without the logon dialog.

You have to hit C-A-D to get the logon dialog to appear, then login locally and restart for the second time. Then RDP works again.

PS: if you know any other way round this, I would very much like to know.

==
    James

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone have any other updates on this? I've noticed the same thing with several servers too. Fortunately most of them are just around the corner in the datacenter, but hey I'm lazy and that's what RDP is for anyway.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried PSTools? They allow you to connect remotely and re-boot etc.

cheers, Paul

Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you RDP in with the /console switch? I've see the "grey screen" before, especially on SBS servers where it seems to get stuck waiting for Exchange & SQL to come up.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Actually, it seems to be a specific article KB967723 that is failing, and I found something which I'm going to try to see if we can get it corrected. Microsoft Answers has Windows Update KB967723 failed which provides a set of steps to hopefully resolve the problem. Based on the thread, it appears it worked for some, and not for others.
    Wendell