Thread: Auto login

Thanks
    Why don't I get auto logged-in whenever I drop by here?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Presumably, you've checked the "Remember me" box on the Sign in page?

Presumably, you've instructed your browser to accept and retain cookies?

Perhaps you're not a member of OpenID and have no wish to become a member - so the sign in with OpenID option does not apply to you?
    Grüße

Thanks
    Yes, remember me box is checked and I do accept and keep cookies for this site.

I have OpenID's but I don't use them very much. This is just the regular forum login.

btw: When I returned here to pen this response, I DID get logged in. So it might be that any logon either times out after X time or resets after a browser restart. I will be closing the browser shortly before turning in. I will check what happens tomorrow.

Thanks
    I just signed out. Closed the site tab. Pasted the URL back and clicked into the page.

I DID NOT get logged in.

And when I clicked the box "Sign in to reply", I got taken to the logon screen. I clicked logon and then got taken to the main index, instead of back to a reply box on the post I was on.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ibe98765 View Post
    I just signed out. Closed the site tab. Pasted the URL back and clicked into the page.

I DID NOT get logged in.....
    Neither did I.......

Why did you log out? You were auto-logged in when you came back. (If it ain't broke don#t fix it.) Have you had a habit of logging out regularly since the site has been with the current version of the software?
    Grüße

Thanks
    I logged out to TEST if I would get auto logged in on return. I DID NOT.

I shut down the browser and on restarting it and returning here, I DID GET LOGGED IN again. Which would seem to indicate that I remained logged in for at least 10 hours even though I had closed the browser.

IMO, if I close the site tab OR the browser, I should get logged out of the session automatically.

But there seems to be some kind of time function in charge of the login/out process. Is this correct?

Thanks
    So is anyone actually working on this problem?

Or has it fallen into the black hole file?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I think we have a misunderstanding going on here. If you log out you will not be automatically logged in when you return. If on the other hand you don't logout, but simply close your browser, then you will automatically be logged in when you return. The Lounge has worked that way since I first used it more than 10 years ago.
    Wendell

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    I think we have a misunderstanding going on here. If you log out you will not be automatically logged in when you return. If on the other hand you don't logout, but simply close your browser, then you will automatically be logged in when you return. The Lounge has worked that way since I first used it more than 10 years ago.
    I do not believe that is true. On the older lounge, I never had to log in, even if I hadn't stopped by in weeks.

But ever since WS took over, the way you describe seems to be in effect.

Regardless, it is not good security practice to remain logged into a website that you have left.

Userid and password are normally stored in the site cookies. If you have checked "remember me" AND you are returning to the site AND you are not logged in, you should be logged in automatically.

WHY would anyone NOT program a site to work in this logical manner?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WendellB View Post
    I do not believe that is true. On the older lounge, I never had to log in, even if I hadn't stopped by in weeks......
    The experiences I had with the w3threads (former) version of the Lounge were exactly the same as what Wendell has described. On the very, very few occasions I logged out of the Lounge, I was never automatically re-logged in on my return.

Whether or not things worked the way you describe in the past, it is clear that you are requesting a change in the way that re-logging in works now. This request is being taken up with the coding team dealing with such issues.

HTH
    Grüße

Brian Livingston
    If you have checked "remember me" AND you are returning to the site AND you are not logged in, you should be logged in automatically.
    ibe98785:

If you click the Sign out link, that means you are not logged in, and you therefore will not be logged in automatically next time you visit.

To be signed in automatically the next time you visit: (1) make sure first-party cookies are enabled in your browser, (2) enable the Remember Me check box when you sign in, and (3) do not click the Sign out link when you end your visit.

There is no reason to ever click the Sign out link, unless you are using an Internet café or a PC that other people besides yourself use.

If you've taken the above three steps, and you don't click Sign out at the end of your visit, you should be signed in automatically the next time you visit using the same browser. This sign-in procedure may or may not be the same one that WWWThreads or Invision Power Board 2.x used, but the Lounge is using IPB 3.0 now and won't be going back to those older versions.

I believe that our current configuration will allow your browser to sign you in automatically for 365 days, as long as you don't click Sign out.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    There is no reason to ever click the Sign out link, unless you are using an Internet café or a PC that other people besides yourself use.
    So if you had two people in the household who used the same computer and were both members of the WS forums, they would be SOL, right? Clearly, there is a security issue here, or you would not recommend signing out at a internet cafe or on a shared computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    To be signed in automatically the next time you visit: (1) make sure first-party cookies are enabled in your browser, (2) enable the Remember Me check box when you sign in, and (3) do not click the Sign out link when you end your visit.
    If I am NOT signed out, then why do I need to be concerned about signing back in?

I'm sorry, but this practice flies in the face of procedure at every other forum site that I am a member of. It is illogical and nonsensical.

I have userids on many other sites and as far as I can recall, all have settings to automatically log you back on when you return if you are not logged on. Some even have a user CP setting that says to the effect "log me in if I am not logged in".

I suspect that the problem here is that you do not have the parameters set correctly for this board software and that you are not really sure HOW to set them correctly.

Administrator
    Thanks
    So if you had two people in the household who used the same computer and were both members of the WS forums, they would be SOL, right? Clearly, there is a security issue here, or you would not recommend signing out at a internet cafe or on a shared computer.

If I am NOT signed out, then why do I need to be concerned about signing back in?

I'm sorry, but this practice flies in the face of procedure at every other forum site that I am a member of. It is illogical and nonsensical.

I have userids on many other sites and as far as I can recall, all have settings to automatically log you back on when you return if you are not logged on. Some even have a user CP setting that says to the effect "log me in if I am not logged in".

I suspect that the problem here is that you do not have the parameters set correctly for this board software and that you are not really sure HOW to set them correctly.
    Why would more than one user be out of luck? Do the users have the same account on the PC?

You need to be concerned about signing back in because of the way Internet communications work. After a period of inactivity the web host will terminate the session you started. This inactivity timeout period is determined in the web server configuration and optionally the application program configuration. When you come back later and start a new session you must identify yourself or you are treated as a guest. If you have specified "remember me" and "automatically log me in" you will be logged in. Sites that allow you to specify "remember me" will all have a time period that once passed will require you to login manually just to verify that you are who you been identifying yourself to be. Additionally, some sites do have settings that say "log me in if I am not logged in". I do not know if the IPB software has that capability.

Perhaps if you know how to configure the IPB software you could volunteer your knowledge.

Joe