New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a 2 Wire router, 2701HG-B, that preformed without a problem until I upgraded my computer, with a new mother board, cpu, memory, hd, and reinstall of XP pro 3. It always starts up with an Internet connection, but frequently when I try to access a different page, or send an email, it does nothing, or shows an "untitled" page, until it decides to work. I have rebooted the router, and AT&T did some tests online, and found nothing. A wireless laptop will stay connected. The effected desktop uses a ethernet cord. I have tried different cords, and different connections in the router, and tried a ethernet card instead of the one in the motherboard. I downloaded that Win Soc "fix" to no avail. I have the same programs that I had before the upgrade. I have gone to Device Mgr., and properties, and the time turn off box is not checked. I do NOT use Zone Alarm, as I have read can cause Internet connection problems. I use AVG free addition, and use CC Cleaner often, etc. I hope this is going to the right forum place, as I am a confused new poster. But, I would be SO very grateful for a fix! My tech is really good, but is stomped.

Thanks
    Hi G. Nave, and welcome to the Lounge!

In your post you said, "It always starts up with an Internet connection, but frequently when I try to access a different page, or send an email, it does nothing, or shows an "untitled" page, until it decides to work."

Does this mean that after it connects properly to the internet it sometimes continues to work correctly, but often fails to display other web pages?

When it does fail, does it consistently fail at the same time after initial startup or is it at random times?

When you navigate to a web site and it displays an "untitled" page, does it sometimes load the page properly after a few minutes?

Have you checked the Event Viewer error logs for errors logged at the time of these occurrences?

Try pinging you own computer. Go to Start > Run > and type in 'cmd' (without the quote marks). Type in: ping 127.0.0.1 or type in: ping localhost
    If errors come back on the screen, then there is something wrong with your TCP/IP configuration. If there are no errors, the problem lies elsewhere. Post back results.

I assume your motherboard has built in ethernet capability. When you installed an NIC did you disable the on board ethernet in your BIOS? Many boards do not automatically cut off the capability when an ethernet card is installed in a slot. This will cause conflicts, so if you can disable your onboard ethernet within the BIOS, give the NIC card another try. If it works consistently, your motherboard ethernet module most likely has a problem.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Hi and welcome to the Lounge ,

I recently replaced a similar 2Wire model that had plagued me for months with that 'sleeping sickness' thing, I have had no problems with the new router since then.

Beg, borrow or buy a known good router for a few days to test, the 2Wire may be on it's last legs. Perhaps AT&T will send you a basic modem to test?

Thanks
    G. Nave, In light of what Andy just posted, try direct connecting your computer thru your modem, bypassing the router. If everything works well you know it is a router problem.

You can then download and install up to date firmware for the router if you have not already done so, and possibly the latest driver for your on board networking.
    If these do not help, then a new router may be the only way to go.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure appreciate the efforts to help! .........Thanks for the questions! If I am on my Welcome page when it happens, I can read anything thereon, and use the arrow to see the various stories to click on, but when I DO click on one, nothing happens. If I am reading an email, it stays, but choosing another email, and nothing happens. Same with sending an email. If I am on a web site, it stays, but going to another, or some part of it that it does not incorporate as part of it, I guess, it then shows a white page with "Untitled" at the top, and "Done" at the bottom. I don't think that Untitled page would ever become a working page, without trying again when the computer allows it to open. I do not find anything that I, (not knowing really what to look for), in the Event Viewer. I tried to Ping, as you describe, cmd took me to a black screen, and I typed in what you said, and I got several lines that I did not comprehend. I did not see anything that seemed to indicate an error(s). Yes, the new mother board had a built in ethernet. I observed my tech put in the new separate ethernet card, and he checked and found that it provided itself with a driver. I do not think he shut down the other ethernet. How is that done?

Addressing the next so appreciated reply: ..........Will any modem do for a trial? What about the fact that my son can use this modem wirelessly with no problem, many hours, and days at a time? Can the wireless work, and the wired part have a problem? Is there a Windows thing that might be missing, or corrupted? When we did the Service pk 3, it wanted a certain thing, and the tech told it where he found it, but it had to be told to install sp 3 without it. Att&t had me reboot the router, and did some tests, and said it was ok. (??)

How do I direct connect the the computer thru the modem, bypassing the router? I have only the one unit, ........modem, router, whatever it is. However this is done, and if is supposed to work, why does one need a router? Many thanks!!

Thanks
    G. Nave,

Ask your tech if he disabled the onboard ethernet in the BIOS. If not ask him to do so and see if an NIC card will fix the problem.

Also, I did not realize until early this morning that your modem and router are combined in one unit. Sorry about that!
    If you know someone who can load you a modem, you can test to see if it makes a difference.

As far as pinging goes, try it again, but write down and post back the replies you received. The replies you get can tell us if there is any problem with your TCP/IP configuration.
    Deadeye81

New Lounger
    Thanks
    SO appreciative of these efforts! Got all my fingers and toes crossed! ........Kinda hard to type that way!

Will scout around for a loan of a modem. I guess any one will do. Which brings the question if needed, should I buy one, (which brand/model), at Fry's, or get another from ATT&T. And, will check with my tech as soon as he comes back to work from Sun, and Mon. off.

As for the Ping search, here is what it showed. (Strange, I could "select all", but could not paste!):

Microsoft Windows XP (Version 5.1.2600)
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C: \Documents and Settings\Ray>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes =32 times<1MS TTL=128
    (this exact same line is repeated 3 more times)

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
    Packets: Sent = 4, received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss>

Approximate round trip time in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Ray>(curser)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: .........

Well, I guess plugging in my son's laptop with the ethernet cord serves the same purpose as borrowing a modem and using it for my desktop. (Yes, the wireless connection was turned off.) The laptop continued to sail along on the Internet, doing all I asked of it, while my desktop flaked out over, and over during the same time frame. Such was also the case with using the laptop wireless last week with my modem.

Also, if it serves the same purpose, as disabling the mother board ethernet in the bios, I found the 2 network cards in Device Manager, and disabled it. But, it had no effect.

I sure hope this posting is not dead in the water! I sorely need a fix! Spent some good bucks upgrading this computer, and my tech, and me are stumped! If any of you yourself cannot help, and have a suggestion of who, or where to ask, please, please, I am all ears! I have been waiting so for some 30 min. and counting. to post this until it lets me! Grrrrr!!

Thanks
    To sum up,

Your son's laptop connects to the internet with no problems, whether on wireless or Ethernet, so the 2Wire router should be okay. The pinging you reported on your desktop looks good, so your TCP/IP configuration is most likely okay.

Do you use Internet Explorer as your browser? If not what browser do you use? When you mentioned email not sending, do you use an online email site such as Yahoo or Gmail from within your browser or a local email program on your hard drive? Try using a different browser to see if that make a difference. If it does, then there may be an add-on installed on the browser you normally use that may be corrupted or not very compatible.

Per your posting number 5, it seems that the Service Pack 3 installation might have affected your internet connectivity. Others have experienced this also. If you want to uninstall SP3 to see if things clear up, you can get directions on doing so from Microsoft here . Of course if this does clear things up, it would be advisable to reinstall SP3 because Microsoft is soon to end security patch protection on SP2.

Please let us know the results if you do roll back SP3.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Mr. Gerald Shepard, sir, (and you others), you are a credit to humanity, with your knowledge sharing! In this world of character flawed folks such as virus creating nuts that enrage us, it is great to realize that they are really a small minority, getting far too much of the attention.

I mainly use Firefox, (the latest edition), but the same problem exists with Internet Explorer 8. I use my ATT&T, (SBC), mail, and sometimes AOL, that comes free with AIM. The ATT&T is, I think, based on Yahoo, but this problem exists in the full scope of Internet use, and the pages stay, and those previously used too, and in memory, but new pages will not open, or emails cannot be sent, and branching out from a page in view, (such as a link), will not work. It can be fleeting, or long lasting, but tries one's patience! When I loose patience, a restart always gives me a period of time to browse.

My tech installed ser. pk. 3 a week, or so after the upgrade, and I am not remembering if this problem was pre-existing. (It certainly did not exist before the upgrade.) I, or the tech, will uninstall ser. pk. 3, and certainly post the results. When he did install the ser. pk. 3, the install informed us that it couldn't find a file. He found it on my computer, and told it where, but despite that, had to tell it to install without it. Is there a way to diagnose if all is well with an XP install, or does one have to reinstall it?

I wanted XP for this desktop due to old programs that Windows 7 might not like. I intend to soon buy a laptop, with Windows 7, of course, and newer programs, but need this desktop to be healthy. Might you know when Office 2010 is due, and also usb 3.0, and the new Intel processor?

Many, many thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by G. Nave View Post
    Might you know when Office 2010 is due, and also usb 3.0, and the new Intel processor?
    Office 2010 is due to hit the streets June 15th.

USB 3.0 - There are machines sold now that have USB 3.0 in them. I believe they are HP. You have to check the specifications closely.

Intel releases processors rather regularly. What new Intel Processor do you mean?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Don't know with certainty, but it appears MS Office 2010 may be released sometime this coming June.

USB 3.0 is already available on some of the newer motherboards (you can find some on Newegg.com, and Western Digital has some availability on My Book USB 3.0 external hard drives. Seagate has some also.

New computers with the Intel i3, i5, and i7 processors are readibly available and growing in numbers. Don't know about the generation of processors after these.

Do you use and Intel processor on your upgraded machine? I should have asked this before, as some HP computers using AMD processors have real issues with XP's Service Pack 3.
    Deadeye81

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Do you use and Intel processor on your upgraded machine? I should have asked this before, as some HP computers using AMD processors have real issues with XP's Service Pack 3.
    See http://bro.ws/772425L for a resolution.

Joe
    Joe