3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a report to edit in which the writer has placed two spaces between each sentence. I need to change them all to one space. Is there an automated way to do this in Word 2007, hopefully just one command?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I thought there used to be an autoformat setting that would do this for you but I can't find it right now.

The method I always use is to do a search and replace for two spaces and replace with a single space. This may have repurcussions in places where the author has used spaces to indent text but then I always fix that too.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ben000 View Post
    I have a report to edit in which the writer has placed two spaces between each sentence. I need to change them all to one space. Is there an automated way to do this in Word 2007, hopefully just one command?
    Find and Replace ?
    Replace <dot space space> with <dot space>?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfamily View Post
    Find and Replace ?
    Replace <dot space space> with <dot space>?
    hi Gfamily,

The problem with using Find/Replace (or anything else automated) is that it'll pick up periods that terminate abbreviations too. For example, 'Mr. Smith' becomes 'Mr. Smith'.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Paul
    The OP wanted to remove double spaces rather than put them in so I wouldn't think that this would be a problem unless the original report writer wants to use the same process to reinstate the extra spaces.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Lockton View Post
    Paul
    The OP wanted to remove double spaces rather than put them in so I wouldn't think that this would be a problem unless the original report writer wants to use the same process to reinstate the extra spaces.
    Hi Andrew,

Yes, my bad.

In that case, to replace all multi-spaces with single spaces in one pass, you could use:
    Find = ([ ])[ ]{1,}
    Replace = \1
    with the 'use wildcards' option checked.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, folks. I'll try this when I get the report.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Word 2007, go to the Home tab and under "Paragraph" and then to the left of the theme color bucket, is a tab with up and down arrows. Click on this and select the sentence spacing that you wnat. I believe that if you highlighted all of the text BEFORE the correction is made then everything will be changed a once.
    Fran

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fran,

I think you're referring to line (and paragraph) spacing, rather than the number of spaces inserted (via the Space Bar) after a period.

Interestingly, you can change the configurations in the Grammar portion of Word Options (Proofing category) so that Word changes the number of spaces after a period from one to two or from two to one when you run the Grammar Checker.

Locate the Grammar section of the Proofing category and look for "Writing Style." To the right, you'll see a button labeled "Settings."

When you click the button, a "Grammar Settings" dialog appears. There's a drop-down toward the top of the dialog (under the heading "Require") that includes choices for optional commas, placement of punctuation relative to quotation marks, and (the one that's pertinent to this discussion) "Spaces required between sentences." The drop-down lets you choose among 1 space, 2 spaces, or "don't check" (i.e., exclude this option altogether when running a Grammar Check).

Note that "Check grammar with spelling" must be enabled in order to make use of this option.

Note, too, that when you run the Grammar Checker, it appears to stop and prompt you each time (there's got to be a way to set it up so that it makes the changes automatically, but I don't have time to test at the moment). Therefore, other methods might be preferable, at least when you are changing from two spaces to one.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Thanks
    If you are considering sentence terminators other than the full stop/period, you need also to include the question mark, double quote and perhaps the exclamation mark and single quote.

And, to be quite honest, I deliberately include two spaces at the end of a sentence because IMNVHO it makes the text easier to read, because you have a more definitive sentence ending. Aardvarks to typographic theory!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by janbphd View Post
    ...change the configurations in the Grammar portion of Word Options (Proofing category) so that Word changes the number of spaces after a period from one to two or from two to one when you run the Grammar Checker.
    Jan, using SpellCheck for this is so clever! That had never even occurred to me. And it seems to stop on all sentence terminators, but not on other “within the sentence” period-spaces. Love it, thanks!

Judy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Judy,

So glad you found this tip helpful! (Thanks much for the morale boost -- it came at a particularly good time.)

It's odd that the option doesn't seem to be under AutoCorrect, which I suspect is where Andrew looked for it originally. When I revisited this thread earlier today, I had a vague recollection of seeing it under Grammar, so I double-checked. And voila!

It makes sense in a way, but it's a little obscure.

But you're right: One of the benefits of using the Grammar Checker to change the spacing between sentences is that it works regardless of the punctuation marks (and ignores periods that don't end sentences). So it definitely comes in handy.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com