2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm on Win7 64bit. I use Thunderbird 3.0.1. My ISP-based email account has my name on it. I want to get another account without my ISP name, or my name on it, and use TB to receive/send mail. I don't know much about them, but I'm aware of hotmail, and Gmail. Are there other free email accounts available, and which one should I choose, and why?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks
    I may be wrong, but I don't believe hotmail is free anymore for new accounts.

I use gmail in TBird, and it works just fine. Setup is very easy because TBird recognizes it as gmail and does all the server settings automatically.

The other good things about gmail is you can use their webmail to access the account as well, the pop/smtp access is more reliable than their webmail front end which has had several outages, and their spam filter is excellent.

Jock

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, Jock. I've been reading some comparisons on the web, since I posted this question, and have come to that same conclusion - Gmail.
    What about using IMAP instead of POP? Is that something I should be concerned with? Some WIKI page said Gmail and your email client can be synced "without even being connected to the internet", which sounds ridiculous to me. (Maybe they meant without having a browser running.) I'm only planning to access the Gmail from my client while at home, or from the internet when I'm elsewhere, so POP sounds like it should be sufficient to me.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    IMAP is good and it lets you sync your mailbox, but it definitely needs an internet connection. I use a cheap Fastmail account for some things and they use IMAP.

cheers, Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been reading Google's description of their email, and I'm going to go sign up now. Sounds like IMAP would be needed for mobile phone access, mainly. I'll just do pop, unless TB sets up IMAP automagically. ;-)

P.S. Paul, I've never heard of Fastmail, so don't confuse me, now; I'm committed!
    Thanks for the help, guys.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, it did do IMAP 'automagically', and I'm just super impressed...with Win7, Thunderbird, and Google...all at once!!!