Thanks
    I am running XP Pro SP3 (Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600)

In an attempt to clean up my C drive and reduce clutter, I opened ZTree and printed a list of all the files >10MB on the drive. I formatted the list so that I could examine it in Excel. One space hog that jumped out quickly was a file called ieframe.dll. I found 14 entries for this dll, all ~11MB, with different creation dates or the same date and different times of day for a total of ~155MB. It is a key file for Internet Explorer, a utility I avoid whenever possible, preferring Mozilla's SeaMonkey suite. There seems to be a new copy saved for each patch for XP.

I then returned to ZTree and entered the filespec, ieframe*.* and learned that there are 60 files for a total of 328MB. It seems that most of the time an ieframe.dll has an associated ieframe.dll.mui. Some did not show up in the original search because they are only 6-7MB sized files.

I've attached a Word document listing all of the files I found and an analysis using Excel.

Does anyone know if all but the most recent version of each of these dll's can safely be deleted?

Thanks,

baumgrenze
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Somehow or other, the attachment to your post got left behind.

If you press "Edit", just below your post, you'll get a another chance to attach it.
    Grüße

Thanks
    Malcolm,

Vielen Danke!

Tschuess!

baumgrenze
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Anything in the C:\WINDOWS\$hf_mig$\ structure should be left alone. That is used in patch management and you'll really mess up Windows update if you delete stuff there. It appears you are no longer running IE7 so you can safely delete the IE7updates folder. All else I recommend you do not disturb.

Joe