Thread: WOW 5.42

New Lounger
    Thanks

WOW 5.42

Hi, can anyone help please...

I followed the suggestion in WOW 5.42 to create a new outlook.pst now and again. I didn't expect to lose my custom defined views and also my user-defined fields. Is there a way of importing them from the old outlook.pst?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WOW 5.42

not easily. they are not importable and why i don't recommend using import/export.

fields should be on the forms, BTW.

Anyway, two hacks are available. some views and fields are stored in folders, so drag the folders over. Or before dumping the old pst, create the new one and apply the views to the folders before getting rid of the old one.

I honestly don't understand why you are creating a new pst so often. I must of missed that issue where it was suggested. I create new ones for manually archiving data, but don't generally need to worry about carrying over views. At home, I'm using the same master pst i created about 3 years ago. It varies between 45 and 75 megs, varying as i delete and move messages to an archive pst.

Having looked up that bit of advice, i still have to say it's nuts. No outlook expert would ever recommend it. Delete mail you no longer need and move messages to a new pst for archiving (manually prefered) and run compact if you want, although outlook auto compacts the pst during idle time. But keep your old pst, use the new ones for storing mail you need to keep but don't need daily or weekly access to. It's nuts to mess with new views or to have to reapply views to folders. Also, you lose custom forms doing it that way. They are stored as hidden files in folders, same for views.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: WOW 5.42

Hi MaryJ

Thanks for your advice. I didn't realise so much was hidden in the pst, and not set as a general 'Outlook default' like most things are in Word. Seems more like a Word template. Maybe I should email Woody and challenge him about his original advice.

Cheers

Sarah