Thanks
    Hello everyone,

I have a vexing problem. I am attempting to help a friend with his Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop. He hadn't used it in awhile, and when he tried to boot up it gave him the IRQL Not Less Or Equal BSOD. I searched around the 'net and found a few articles, but nothing conclusive. In safe mode the computer is now working fine, and I was able to uninstall some questionable software from there, but other software won't remove because accessing the Windows installer is not possible in safe mode. Now we can boot into Windows proper, BUT his CPU is being used 100% (99% in the task list) by services.exe. I have been able to reboot into diagnostic mode using msconfig from safe mode, but NOTHING I can do will eliminate the 100% CPU usage! I have tried to do a malware check using SuperAntiSpywares portable version, but unfortunately my usb key is not recognized immediately by Windows. I can't even get it to boot from the Dell restoration CD even after having pressed F12 during bootup, AND choosing to boot from the cd/dvd drive as per the Dell website! I don't believe it is a virus, because I have found only three services.exe files, one in the c:\windows\system32 folder, one in c:\i386, and one in c:\windows\ServicePackFiles\i386. The one in system32 is dated 2/6/2009 and weighs in at 108kb, whereas the other two are dated 8/4/2004 @ 106kb in \i386 and the same size with a date of 4/13/2008 in \ServicePackFiles\i386. There is a "hotfix" available for just such an issue at Microsoft's site but is not for XP.

While I was writing this I even tried renaming the newest services.exe to services.new, and then copying the 2008 version over to the \system32 folder and then rebooting, still in diagnostic mode, and no luck, still running at 100%. I have a feeling it has something to do with a networking component because I had the same issue in Safe Mode with Networking Support.

ARGH!

Hopefully someone here will have already faced this issue and found a solution of some sort that I haven't already tried.

Thanks in advance.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge! Have you tried doing a Repair Install?
    Gre

Thanks
    Hello Mr. Moderator,

Well, no. But I did manage to use the Dell installed Norton Ghost to reimage back to the factory defaults, and am now in the process of updating XP. Hopefully the problem won't reoccur after getting everything back to SP3. We shall see.

If there's anyone out there who has seen this problem, I would still like to know if there is another solution, just in case.

Thanks, again.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

BUT

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    You can try Searching the Lounge (top right hand corner of this page) for IRQL to give you some kind of flavour as to what your friend's problem was.

It is possible that something went wrong - if he hadn't used it for several years - as a result of the laptop's being inactive. Advice varies in such circumstances, but it should do no harm when a laptop is unused for an extended period of time to remove the battery.

HTH
    Gre

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Z. View Post
    If there's anyone out there who has seen this problem, I would still like to know if there is another solution, just in case.
    The BSOD error you got is often from a hardware problem. Bad RAM or CPU overheating are two common issues. Check the fans, make sure there is sufficient clearnce for good air flow, run a memory test.

For your 100% CPU usage, you should try using a tool such as Autoruns for Windows to identify what is running at startup.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    To All,

Just to let everyone know, all is well with my friends laptop. I was able to install all Windows updates including SP3, and the services.exe @ 100% cpu trouble did not come back! At this point I am inclined to believe now that it may HAVE been a virus. All hardware seems to be working properly and I installed Avira Personal AV, Comodo Firewall, some other malware detectors for scanning purposes, and a HD monitor and CPU monitors, all of which indicate the hardware is just fine.

Go figger.

Thanks to all who responded, and see ya around.

BUT

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried sending in a hijack this log http://www.2-spyware.com/hjt.php You can analyse your own logs and you don't need to be a security expert.Tthe analyzer will quickly check your log and clearly show, which entries are related to parasites and must be fixed.