Thread: Vista reformat

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have just reformatted my Vista Laptop before passing it on to my grandson. I did this by changing the bios to force boot up from the re-installation CD and all appeared to go as it should although I was surprised to not be asked for the licence/service tag/serial number. After starting the reformatted system I downloaded and installed all updates but I loaded no software other than AVG free. I then ran the AVG configuration sequence followed by a full scan. I was surprised to see that files being scanned included some from Capture 4, Capture NX2 and Photoshop. These were all programs I'd previously used but how were all these oddments of files still on the system after the reformat? Did I only install the new system over the other? All my previously installed programs were removed.
    Vic C.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Chapman View Post
    I have just reformatted my Vista Laptop before passing it on to my grandson. I did this by changing the bios to force boot up from the re-installation CD and all appeared to go as it should although I was surprised to not be asked for the licence/service tag/serial number. After starting the reformatted system I downloaded and installed all updates but I loaded no software other than AVG free. I then ran the AVG configuration sequence followed by a full scan. I was surprised to see that files being scanned included some from Capture 4, Capture NX2 and Photoshop. These were all programs I'd previously used but how were all these oddments of files still on the system after the reformat? Did I only install the new system over the other? All my previously installed programs were removed.
    The Vista install process is somewhat different from the past. If Vista recognizes that there is a prior version of an operatiung system present, it will create a folder called Windows.old that will hold all sorts of old stuff.

If you wanted to completely format the disk, you needed to delete, recreate, and format the partition during the install.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. Will this "Windows old" folder take up much space or cause longer AV scans and is it likely that any sensitive bits of information could be easily retrieved from the files? Is it possible to delete this folder or can I safely leave it as it is and if undeletable, would you advise I redo the reformat in the way you mention?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic Chapman View Post
    Thanks Joe. Will this "Windows old" folder take up much space or cause longer AV scans and is it likely that any sensitive bits of information could be easily retrieved from the files? Is it possible to delete this folder or can I safely leave it as it is and if undeletable, would you advise I redo the reformat in the way you mention?

The windows.old folder is huge as it contains the entire old OS. You do have the ability to open the folder by simply clicking on it. You can then drag any thing worth saving directly into the new OS. Eventually you will want to delete the folder, again simply by right clicking and choosing delete. It will take a while because of it's size.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to both of you.
    Vic