Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if there is any program or way to add to the left navigation pane in Explorer the "Common Tasks" like we were able to do in XP? I miss having the Delete, Move-to and Copy-to option right there easy to get to.

Just wondering!..........

Thanks
    Hi and welcome

there are a lot of different eays to add "move to" or "copy to" to context menu. what is exactly you need?

Ken
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tepe View Post
    Does anyone know if there is any program or way to add to the left navigation pane in Explorer the "Common Tasks" like we were able to do in XP? I miss having the Delete, Move-to and Copy-to option right there easy to get to.

Just wondering!..........
    Add move to/copy to to the right click menu.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know if there is any program or way to add to the left navigation pane in Explorer the "Common Tasks"
    Hear hear! I use XP and 7 side by side every day and I dearly miss the XP Explorer toolbar not being in 7. I've tried a program called Classic Explorer but it doesn't replace what is now the navigation pane in 7. Instead it puts cut, copy, paste, delete and properties icons in a horizontal row up with the menu bar (if displayed) so I don't find it to be a good skin job at all. The up one level arrow folder is also there though so I've kept it for now until something better comes along (he typed hopefully...).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Hear hear! I use XP and 7 side by side every day and I dearly miss the XP Explorer toolbar not being in 7. I've tried a program called Classic Explorer but it doesn't replace what is now the navigation pane in 7. Instead it puts cut, copy, paste, delete and properties icons in a horizontal row up with the menu bar (if displayed) so I don't find it to be a good skin job at all. The up one level arrow folder is also there though so I've kept it for now until something better comes along (he typed hopefully...).
    You may already knowyYou can use Alt up arrow to move up one level.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Add move to/copy to to the right click menu.
    No, the method you point to is nice but not what I used in XP. On the left side of every explorer window is what is called (I guess) the Navigation Pane. There was a command to "Add Common Tasks" which added those options to the navigation pane. There is a set of commands available in the Menu Bar/edit drop down box but is is not as convenient as the common tasks being in the navigation bar.

Thanks
    In doing a quick google search, I do not find a method to do this, sorry. You may be stuck getting used to the Win 7 methods, which generally once you are used to them work equally well as XP if not better.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may already knowyYou can use Alt up arrow to move up one level.
    I did know about it. I find that people fall into two camps (basically) when it comes to navigation--those that have two hands on the keybaord most of the time and its a distraction to lift one hand and grab the mouse, and those who spend most of thier time with the mouse in hand. One group thinks keyboard shortcuts are more efficient, the other, minimal mouse clicks and movement.

Its alright to mention keyboard shortcuts but a dedicated mouser isn't going to want to divert from the mouse during navigation since the follow-up movement to select a file would be to Tab until the proper field is highlighted and then use the up and down arrow to actually select the file and then there might be a non-default open desired and one thing I actually do not know is how to bring up the context menu from the keyboard....the mouse just has so much better flow that I don't want to interrupt it...but I'm not a writer or do much in the way that I'd have both hands on the keyboard for extended periods of time.

Win 7 methods, which generally once you are used to them work equally well as XP if not better.
    Very true as long as the word generally is emphasized I think. The exception so far is the Explorer/Quick tasks bar and for some reason it always seems to take an extra click or two to get where I'm going. For instance when I right click on My Network Places and choose properties, I go right to the Network Connections in XP, which is exactly what I want. In 7 I get taken in under the big umbrella of Network and Sharing and Homegroup and then I still have to get to the network connection info. It works out fine in the end but its just not as convenient, as the OP mentioned in post 6.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do you mean something like this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.