4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

We all use Word2003 and I know how to install the templates for (Workgroup or User folder selection). But, where and how do I install templates in Word2007 (few users - damn them) so that it know when I open a document created using that template to provide the macros and the special menu? I can't find any way of doing this :-(. Looked in the Microsoft site but it is of no use.

It doesn't seem to be a simple case of copying the templates to the (Word2007) known locations. In Word 2003 we could set the User and Workgroup paths to a particular folder and have our templates in them, now don't know where to go for this setting.

Any help highly appreciated.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Look in:

Word Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings button. This will take you to a Trusted Locations dialog where you should be able to add a new trusted location.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    Look in:

Word Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings button. This will take you to a Trusted Locations dialog where you should be able to add a new trusted location.

Gary
    Thanks Gary. I added my location to the Trust Center so that it aware that templates exist at this location.

Two problems:

1. When I open an existing document created using my template (which is in the new trusted location I added to the Trust Center), it doesn't 'find' it, i.e. no startup macros are run & don't have access to add-in functions.

2. If try to create a New document & select 'installed templates' or 'my templates', it *doesn't* list any of my templates - only Blank (for my templates)!

Then, I changed the default 'user template' location to point to my drive/folder but still no joy. The above is true.

Any more ideas?
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok. I have now managed to set up file locations to my/company folders (as they were for Word 2003), i.e. it is now pointing to all the company templates created with Word2003. So, now when I try to create a new document, it lists all the templates. The file locations were set up with Options -> Advanced -> General / File Locations.

So, now theoratically, I should be able to open an existing document (created using Word 2003 template which is listed when I try to create a new document) with the template attached but it still doesn't! I have even saved the Word2003 template as Word2007 template in the same folder. Still no joy. Now, I am stuck

Any ideas?

Edit: What I have found is it that when I open an existing document and look at Word options -> Add-ins -> Templates my template is listed as part of the 'document template'! If it knows about the template and picks it up from the specific locations, then why doesn't it attach it automatically? Then, if I click OK, it now 'attaches' the template to the document. It seems I have to do this for every document - it just doesn't make sense.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robie View Post
    Thanks Gary. I added my location to the Trust Center so that it aware that templates exist at this location.

Two problems:

1. When I open an existing document created using my template (which is in the new trusted location I added to the Trust Center), it doesn't 'find' it, i.e. no startup macros are run & don't have access to add-in functions.

2. If try to create a New document & select 'installed templates' or 'my templates', it *doesn't* list any of my templates - only Blank (for my templates)!

Then, I changed the default 'user template' location to point to my drive/folder but still no joy. The above is true.

Any more ideas?
    First off, to clarify: adding a location as a 'Trusted Location' doesn't do anything in terms of telling Word that templates exist at that location. It only - very narrowly - tells Word not to put up a macro warning for any macro-containing template or document that may be located in that Trusted Location.

Problem #1: It's not clear from your post, whether you actually moved the existing templates to a new location, in the course of designating a Trusted Location. But if you moved the templates from one location to another, then I would expect the result you got - in each document, Word maintains a path back to the template on which the document is based. If you move the originating template to another location, then the document cannot 'find' its template upon open. Word has a limited ability to search for and find the missing template in this situation; roughly, it can find the template if the template is (1) in the same folder as the document, or (2) the template is in one of the built-in template locations such as the user template location.

Problem #2: This is caused by the issue described in my first paragraph above - just because the templates are in a "Trusted Location", doesn't mean that Word knows there are templates there.

As to moving your default 'user template' location - I would avoid doing that. For instance, when you moved that location, did you move the Normal.dotm template too? If you didn't, then when you next launched Word, Word wouldn't be able to locate an existing Normal.dotm, so it would recreate a new one - this could cause all kinds of trouble so best to avoid it.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robie View Post
    Ok. I have now managed to set up file locations to my/company folders (as they were for Word 2003), i.e. it is now pointing to all the company templates created with Word2003. So, now when I try to create a new document, it lists all the templates. The file locations were set up with Options -> Advanced -> General / File Locations.

So, now theoratically, I should be able to open an existing document (created using Word 2003 template which is listed when I try to create a new document) with the template attached but it still doesn't! I have even saved the Word2003 template as Word2007 template in the same folder. Still no joy. Now, I am stuck

Any ideas?

Edit: What I have found is it that when I open an existing document and look at Word options -> Add-ins -> Templates my template is listed as part of the 'document template'! If it knows about the template and picks it up from the specific locations, then why doesn't it attach it automatically? Then, if I click OK, it now 'attaches' the template to the document. It seems I have to do this for every document - it just doesn't make sense.
    Robie,

See the answer regarding Problem #1 in my prior post to this one - if you move the location of your existing templates, then when you open documents created from these templates while they were in their prior locations, the documents won't necessarily be able to find their parent template.

I've dealt with this issue in earlier versions of Word, but never in Word 2007, and am away from a Word 2007 PC at the moment, so can't go in and check how it works in Word 2007. But what you're experiencing sounds familiar - change template locations with caution! (same goes for renaming templates). In this situation, you would have to do the manual 'Attach' process you describe for every existing document, or else run some kind of batch macro on your existing documents (or have a macro in a global template that checks the attached template status of every document when it opens) - either way, to force documents that have an obsolete template path, to update to the new template path.

Gary

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your responses Gary.

We can ignore Trusted locations - I think that is a red-herring.

In terms of the 'User & workgroup' templates locations, I have made them to point at my normal company folders. So, I don't think I am doing anything wrong here. All the templates, including Normal are there.

The outstanding problem now is that an existing document (created using our company template) does *not* seem to have the template attached to the document. The only way to solve this currently is that I have to go into Word Options | Add-Ins | Manage drop-down list and select Templates - this displays the standard dialog where I just click OK and voila the template is now attached to the document and its menu options available as Add-ins ribbon. I have to do this for all documents, which doesn't seem right to me.

I will live with this for time being until I find a permanent solution.
    Thanks.
    Robie