Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FRX Format (VB6)

That's far more than I ever want to know about frx files. What are you trying to accomplish with this?
    Charlotte

Nikolai

I am working on a project that imports pre-existing visual basic forms to use as custom front-ends to an engineering facility. I have now spent about five hours trying to decode these things and have come to the conclusion that anyone who knows more than me has decided not to tell anyone :-(

I have already created a VB form importer that works well but in order to to complete the next phase of this project I need to completely decode the frx file and so far I can only understand list data in what I would call satisfactory detail, I am only 16 and so do not have volumous amounts of time to dedicated to decode frx files cause of college

Nikolai

FRX Format (VB6)

I have spent quite a bit of time now trying to decode these frx files and have got to a point where i can quite happily strip list data from them and even work out offsets to graphic data, my problem is that i just don't understand some parts of it, if anyone knows it in any more detail than i do then please help:

what i have worked out so far:
    bytes 1 & 2 - a short integer, number of entries, bytes in current datum
    bytes 3 & 4 - unknown
    bytes 5 & 6 - size of current entry (short integer)
    bytes 6+ - data for current entry
    and so on

but i cant seem to establish what bytes 3 & 4 are, or in the case of graphics, there appears to be an extended header.

So far, i looked at the bytes 3 & 4 for two types of data (the itemdata and listdata propeties for a comobbox) and if you treat them as another short integer and subtract one from the value, the two values i get (2 and 8) appear to be variant type identifiers but this would not work for bitmaps where these two bits are zero.

Any help appreciated

Nikolai

Besides, as soon as I have finished decoding it, and eventually I will manage it, I want to stick the details on my website so people like me dont have to keep frutilessly browsing the web for a spec that aint there.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This sounds a lot like you're trying to reverse engineer VB functionality. You might want to be a little careful about that. You don't need to know the details of FRX files to import forms or even to create them.
    Charlotte

Nikolai

Not quite, we have a large user base who use excel and so on to implement certain forms to make spreadsheet access easy, however they now need this to be integrated with our product and the easiest way to accomplish this from the users point of view is if they are able to import the forms direct from excel rather than redesigning them