Thanks
    Link

I guess the need for money can sometimes be far more important to some than the need for compassion.
    Catz

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Catz View Post
    Link

I guess the need for money can sometimes be far more important to some than the need for compassion.
    Hi Catz, I can certainly understand your point of view but having spent many years on a farm in Vermont I learned early that one does have to make decisions like this. We had all kinds of pets on the farm where I lived. My mom, a single mom raising three boys on her own and working two jobs, believed in us all having pets to keep us focused and busy. Not to mention the additional companionship they provided. Our local vet whose main business was treating farm animals also took time to treat our pets as well. He knew us and our financial situation and always attempted to help out where he could but he couldn't do every thing for free. Unfortunately there were times (more than I care to think about) where we had to decide the fate of our furried family members purely on the issue of cost.

One such example comes to mind. My brother had a dog that was the spitting image of Old Yeller of the movie/book fame. This mentally deficiant pooch could not pass up a chance to have a go at porcupines. Many times our local vet had to pull spines out of that stupid pooch! It got so bad that he trained my brothers and I on how to do it so he didn't have to charge us to do it. Well, as you might guess, one day that dog met his match. He had been missing for most of the day and when he didn't come home to eat (something he never did) we went out looking for him. We found him laid up under a tree wimpering. He had a huge number of quills embedded into his head, chest and front legs. He had obviously been trying to geet some of them out on his own and had made a very big mess of it.

We drove him to the Vets to see if he could be saved. After examining him the Vet called in my mom and my brother. He explained to both that it would take about three hours of surgery to try and get all of the quills out. And even if he did survive he was going to be blind as both eyes had been hit as well! At the time the cost of the surgery was going to be in excess of $1000! My brother knew that we could not afford that so he made the decision to have that poor pooch put down. It was a tough decision but one that needed to be made.

I am not saying that the SPCA and vet in this story handled it as good as they should have but at the same time you have a dog suffering and a family that is obviously not able to meet the financial requirements to have the dog saved. A 19 year old young man certainly can be expected to make that decision with out resorting to the actions her took. I also think it is great that all those people called into offer to donate towards the operation but one does have to wonder, "How many other lost pets and strays could have been helped with all that donated money?
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">MickeyMouse</font face=comic>
    How best to describe the Lounge-
    "Coming together is a beginning, staying together is progress, working together is success"