New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just curious: does anyone know why most of the large computer makers (Dell, HP, etc.) seem to offer only Windows 7 64-bit preinstalled on new machines? I would think that this would cause all kinds of driver issues for anyone with legacy devices. Or maybe I've just answered my own question: these people want to sell some peripherals, too.

Thanks
    Hi and welcome

They do want to sell, but I suspect MS is incouraging them with discounts
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional-- Windows Expert Consumer 2009---2015
    MCC 2013-2015

Wanikiyi & Dyami--Team ZigZag3143

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Since most are only using 64 bit hardware, why not use the 64 bit OS?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    I believe over time, and not too long of time, 32 Bit will begin going the way of 16 Bit. The manufacturers see the "writing on the wall" so to speak and are gearing up for the newest OS variation. As time goes on more will be available for 64 Bit and less for 32 Bit. And yes, they want to sell us new devices as well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dell installs 32 bit version on many computers purchased through the Business Sales web site. Anyone can order through the Business site.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    FYI
    Bought 2 HP computers just prior to release of Windows 7. They came installed with Vista Home Premium 64 bit. I upgraded to Home Premium Windows 7 64 bit without any driver problem issues. Okidata Microline 390 Turbo dot matrix printer, HP OfficeJet 5610, and Brothers LaserJet HL 2140 installed and worked flawlessly. All of my software also worked. Printers are networked so that both computers can access them. Very pleased with Windows 7 64 bit!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by R Atkins View Post
    Just curious: does anyone know why most of the large computer makers (Dell, HP, etc.) seem to offer only Windows 7 64-bit preinstalled on new machines? I would think that this would cause all kinds of driver issues for anyone with legacy devices. Or maybe I've just answered my own question: these people want to sell some peripherals, too.
    It is up to the periperhal makers to supply drivers for legacy hardware not the big OEMs. The periperhal makers don't want to spend time writing drivers for older equipment. They want you to upgrade that too.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Large OEM assemblers want to support as few skus as possible and for the most part 64-bit support is good enough at this point (and will continue to get better) and 64-bit is clearly the future and will easilly be able to support all 32-bit apps that don't require conversion indefinitely. Also, it must not be dismissed that almost anything that can trigger an upgrade cycle for a manufacturer is a good thing for the manufacturer. 99+% of people don't need 64-bit right now but having 64-bit covers those few that do as well as everyone else, so combined with acceptable compatibilty in 2010 (imagine how well it would have gone over in 2001 with XP-64 bit!), it is the logical choice.

That said, guess which computer among 12 (or maybe its a bakers' dozen) of mine is currently locked up solid with a movable cursor but nothing else? Yes its the only 64-bit 7 system I have. Since I know my current requirements for a system I wouldn't hesitate putting 32-bit 7 on it just for that little bit better compatibility. The only times I've rebooted any of my 32-bit 7 systems since last October is when a program or windows update said it had to be done.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your thoughts.

Long story short, HP doesn't offer Win7 x64 drivers for my LaserJet 1012 (works, so why trash it?). Given the nature of some of the workarounds in the HP forums, it's fairly clear that they could have done so with little effort, but they're driven more by greed than by customer satisfaction.

A few years ago, I sent a 14-month old inkjet to HP for service (which I bought almost upon its release), and HP told me they had no parts but would be happy to sell me a refurb of another printer with fewer features for more than I paid for the one I sent in. Perhaps their practices have caused them to lose so many customers that they've decided to make up the difference on the people stupid enough to keep buying from them.

Canon, by contrast, has a Win7 x64 driver for my inkjet. It's newer, so maybe that's not a fair comparison.