2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After finally locating and installing the HP Photosmart D5460 W7 64bit printer driver and adding a network shared printer that is on my XP system, I could not print a test page. I chatted with HP Tech support and their only solution was to physically connect and install the printer on the W7.
    The two pieces of equipment are in different locations today and not easily moved.

I downloaded and installed the Brother's W7-64 driver and that laser printer on my Vista system added very ealiy to the Windows 7 system.

Does anyone have another solution, besides another brand of printer?

Thanks
    Is the Hp set up as the default printer? If not this would cause this issue. If Devices and Printers is not listed on your start button, right click the start button and choose properties. On the start menu choose customize. Ensure the Devices and printers is checked. (You can also typr print in search bos and devices and printers will be one of the options.)

Click on Devices and printers on the start button ensure you printer is default. If not right ckick and choose Set as Default.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted,
    Sorry, installing as default printer did not help.
    No test page was printed and an attempt to direct print yielded this error message:
    "This error can appear if a default printer has not been designated or if the application is unable to locate an existing default printer. To correct this problem, try one of the following in Microsoft Windows:"
    It was set as Default Printer and non of the other conditions applied are were statisfied,

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    As long as the printerdriver is correct (You got the latest version from HP I assume) it sounds like a wireless issue with the printer set up. I also see there is an update to the original driver. This may be a good place to ask a question because the wireless or network setup is different than my printer since I have a Canon.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    As long as the printerdriver is correct (You got the latest version from HP I assume) it sounds like a wireless issue with the printer set up. I also see there is an update to the original driver. This may be a good place to ask a question because the wireless or network setup is different than my printer since I have a Canon.
    Ted,
    The driver I installed was the 10-2009 ver:13.1.0.
    My win7 came with a new DELL, so I did not apply the Update because it is for "When Upgrading Vista to Win 7."
    No wireless involved here, strickly a cabled LAN.

I had no problem adding a Brother Printer on my Vista computer,
    just to the HP on the XP computer. Maybe Win7 to XP is the issue.

Anyway, thanks for the pointer to the HP Printer Support Forum; however,
    I have already gone the Support Chat route and their last solution was to install directly with USB.
    So much for their networking support. Specifically asked if the XP Driver needed updating and the Tech said NO.

Ray A.

Thanks
    Hi raysworth,

Is your HP printer a true networking printer (using an IP address for communication) or is it a printer connected via USB to an XP machine that you set up as a printer share for your network?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi raysworth,

Is your HP printer a true networking printer (using an IP address for communication) or is it a printer connected via USB to an XP machine that you set up as a printer share for your network?
    Gerald,
    It is connected by USB to the XP computer and shared on my network.
    It works just fine from my Vista Home Premium 32 bit computer.
    This may be a Win7-64bit issue, but HP has been no help.
    Ray A.

Thanks
    Our network computer is an HP connected to an XP SP3 PC via USB also. It is shared on my home network. I have two Windows 7 64 bit machines and an iMac printing to the share. The host pc the printer is connected to and the printer has to be powered up to get the printer set up properly on any pc in the network. I set up the printer on Windows 7 by going to Control Panel>Devices and Printers, clicked on the Add a printer button, and selected Add a network, wireless, or Bluetooth printer. An auto search of the network began and soon found the HP printer connected to the XP pc. I stopped the search, clicked on the HP share which was listed by address and name: example-- \\hostpc\share name -- and in a few moments, the 64 bit HP driver (I had earlier downloaded and installed the driver) was set up and I printed a test page.

Was this the procedure you followed to access your printer share?

In Win 7 be sure that network discovery and file & printer sharing is enabled in the Network and sharing center.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill