Thanks
    I have several documents in which some of the words have been turned into hyperlinks by the Insert > Hyperlink procedure. I would like to convert them to PDF files and preserve the hyperlinks. (All the hyperlinks are to URLs or Mailto: addresses, and all of them appear in the document as words, not URLs or email addresses.)

I use PDF995 for my Word to PDF conversions. It's a great little program, but it doesn't preserve these links. There are hundreds of such links in each of the documents, so it's out of the question to use any manual procedures.

What program or programs, hopefully reasonably priced, are out there that will do what I need?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use PDF Creator (open source) and it converts mailto links.

cheers,Paul

Thanks
    Generally speaking, if your PDF creation software works through the print function, it is not going to capture the hyperlink "behind" a string a text: Word does not output that information to the printer. To create a PDF that picks up those hyperlinks, you probably need a Word add-in such as Adobe's PDFMaker.

(Or maybe OpenOffice.org Writer can do it? Maybe with a free add-in such as Extended PDF? I haven't tried it myself.)

(Word 2007 users should try Microsoft's add-in: Save a file in PDF format - Word - Microsoft Office Online)

== Edit ==

In doing a little searching, it appears that the following site does an Adobe-type conversion for free (up to 15 documents per month) and emails your PDF back to you: http://www.freepdfconvert.com/ (I haven't tried it myself, and obviously you would not want to submit highly sensitive documents...)

Thanks
    Thanks for the insight about the printer-based converters. Makes great sense. I will look into the methods you suggested. My docs aren't numerous, and they surely aren't sensitive. Maybe the online service will work for me. PDF995 is perfect for all my other PDF needs. (Well ALMOST all of them.) ;-)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I used the print method with PDF Creator when I tested it before replying.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Here's a story about what's possible when you're looking for a solution. You never know where you will find it.

I use a very old WYSIWYG web authoring program called CuteSite Builder. I needed to put a fairly large table on my site, mostly consisting of text that links to URLs and mailto's. CuteSite Builder can't handle stuff like that directly.

I had used PDFs to put other documents with links on the site, but the links were always spelled out, so there was no problem using my printer-based PDF995 program to put it up there. The method didn't work with text-based links, so I sought help here in the Lounge.

I just assumed that another PDF-based solution would serve in this case, if only I could make the PDF show the links in text form, rather than spelled out.

While casting about for a solution, I looked into one of my Word books and discovered the "Save as HTML" feature, which I had never looked into before because I had never needed it. (CuteSite Builder has a feature that lets you put HTML into your site. I've used it many times, mostly for snippets of code to do some minor task.)

I tried saving my pretty large document as HTML and using CuteSite Builder to plug it into my site. It works perfectly.

See the results HERE. (LOTS of text-based links, saved from Word as HTML)

See the "old way" using PDF HERE. (a PDF with lots of directly-specified links, made with PDF995)
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    While casting about for a solution, I looked into one of my Word books and discovered the "Save as HTML" feature, which I had never looked into before because I had never needed it. (CuteSite Builder has a feature that lets you put HTML into your site. I've used it many times, mostly for snippets of code to do some minor task.)

I tried saving my pretty large document as HTML and using CuteSite Builder to plug it into my site. It works perfectly.
    That makes sense; always better to use HTML rather than PDF if you can.

Word's HTML converter sometimes renders code that works poorly in browsers other than IE. If you run into that in the future, you can search around or post back here for advice on conversion settings.

Thanks
    Thanks for the heads up!

Is there something more reliable to convert a Word document (table-heavy) to HTML?
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sander View Post
    Is there something more reliable to convert a Word document (table-heavy) to HTML?
    I'm not aware of any better tools for doing the original conversion, but if you avoid VML and save as "filtered" HTML, then the clean-up isn't too bad. The HTML Tidy utility is supposed to help with clean-up, but I haven't used it for many years and am not sure of the best implementation.

Thanks
    I've been using the "filtered" version. The descriptions of the various versions weren't too meaningful to me, but "filtered" seemed to be the simplest. I guess I was just lucky to pick the best one. Thanks again for all your help.
    Lou Sander
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    USA