3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was in the midst of installing Adobe Photoshop CS into a friends computer when about halfway the computer FROZE. The only way to get things going again was to Shut Down and Restart. Then when I went to Control Panel to REMOVE the partial installation I could NOT get it to Remove. Made several attempts without success. There was a pop up window that would appear but unfortunately I do NOT have a Screen shot, but I tried the suggestions therein without any success.

Is there a method to REMOVE reluctant programs such as this???

Thanx a lot for any suggestions.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You could install the program and then un-install it. You may need to do a Repair.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    You could install the program and then un-install it. You may need to do a Repair.

cheers, Paul
    That's basically my problem --- It won't Uninstall or Repair.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could INSTALL the program and THEN un-install it.
    It might seem a bit counter-intuitive but a failed install leaves a bunch of temp files and no uninstall hooks behind, so installing again cleans up the temp files and puts the proper hooks in for uninstalling.

Also a system restore would do the trick though it may leave behind some residual files from the install that would need manual deletion.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You can remove the item from Add/Remove by tweaking the registry or using a tool to do it for you.
    A search for "remove item from add/remove" provides lots of options.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    It might seem a bit counter-intuitive but a failed install leaves a bunch of temp files and no uninstall hooks behind, so installing again cleans up the temp files and puts the proper hooks in for uninstalling.

Also a system restore would do the trick though it may leave behind some residual files from the install that would need manual deletion.
    The first thing I did, as always, before installing any software, was to set up a NEW System Restore point. When I had trouble trying to Install and Remove/Uninstall, I went back and tried the System Restore function, and would NOT work either. In fact I tried two or three different Restore points with no success. I also ran CCleaner. Same difference. It appears that my buddy has a deep problem that I am not able to dig out. I'm not about to do a reinstall of his WinXP. His email and browser seems to be working so I think I'll just leave it at that.

Thanx mucho for all the suggestions.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    You can remove the item from Add/Remove by tweaking the registry or using a tool to do it for you.
    A search for "remove item from add/remove" provides lots of options.

cheers, Paul
    Your suggestion "tweaking" the registry is a bit of a misnomer in my book. I stay away from any Registry tweaking other than to use CCleaner.

But Thanx anyway.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Try a free or commercial uninstall program, such as RevoUninstaller or Absolute Uninstaller. Most such products do a better job of uninstalling than Windows Control Panel. Good luck.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You haven't said if you tried to install it again from scratch. As Byron said, although counter-intuitive an over-the-top install often cleans out a broken install. If it does install this time, I would recommend another uninstall/install cycle to make sure things are fine.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You can also use the Microsoft Removal Tool to remove all references to the installed program. Go to this link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Thanks
    I have also had similar issues in the past, and when all else fails I simply delete the folder(s) that were part of the failed install to the Recycle Bin (just in case you need to restore them, then reboot and run a good registry cleaner and have it remove any entries related to the software you were trying to install when the system froze.

As far as Microsoft's Removal Tool, on my Win XP SP3 Pro system I get the error "There is no script engine for file extension *.vbs*" so that the program won't even try and install.
    HP Pavillion Elite HPE-127 c-b Intel Core i5 750 2.67 Ghz 8 GB RAM one 2 TB Hdd, and one 3 TB Hdd with one 3TB external HDD Win 7 Home Premium 64, GeForce GT 220 1 Gig Vram; Sony Vaio laptop with Intel i3 330-M 2.13 Ghz 4 GB RAM 500 GB Hdd Win 7 Home Premium 64; not to mention an HTC One (the older model) and a Nexus 7(2013)

--------------------------------

Dogs Aren't Our Whole Life
    BUT
    They Make Our Life Whole.

--------------------------------

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    "There is no script engine for file extension *.vbs*"
    You have a problem with your system. To get around it open a Command Prompt, change to the directory where you have the program and type:
    cscript nameofprogram.vbs.

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanx to ALL. Tomorrow I'll be at my buddy's place and will try either the Revo Uninstaller OR the Absolute Uninstaller.

Will POST the results in a day or two.