Lounger
    Thanks
    I was just wondering if there is any way of customizing the info displayed in a folders Detail Pane.
    What I would like to be able to do is either remove items from it and/or change the order that things are displayed so that I see the relevant info that I'm interested in without the need to expand it to a ridiculous size.
    eg. I never rate my media files so there is no point in the rating being displayed pushing the info I want out of view.

Thanks
    Hi Alrock43,

Click on "Organize" in Windows Explorer, and go to "Layout" and select "Menu bar" if you have not already made the Menu bar visible at this point. On the Menu bar click on View and in the "Sort by" and "Group by" submenus select "More" to see many options you can select.

Hope this helps, provides what you are looking for.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrock43 View Post
    I was just wondering if there is any way of customizing the info displayed in a folders Detail Pane.
    What I would like to be able to do is either remove items from it and/or change the order that things are displayed so that I see the relevant info that I'm interested in without the need to expand it to a ridiculous size.
    eg. I never rate my media files so there is no point in the rating being displayed pushing the info I want out of view.
    This is highly configurable. You have specified the Detail Pane so you are already well along the way. In the (relatively invisible) heading row at the top of the columns you refer to, which typically begins with Name, Date Modified, Type, Size, etc.. right-click anywhere and you will be presented with a pull-down menu which contains a number of common details, which you can select or deselect as suits your purposes, along with More, which will give you a long list of additional selections, some of which are rather exotic. One right-click and you're off to the races. (Changing the order is drag-and-drop.)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help, however I don't think you understand what I am asking so here's a picture to demonstrate.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right, I didn't understand it. That is even more exotic. I'll have to think this one over. (So much for what look like easy questions!)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    You're right, I didn't understand it. That is even more exotic. I'll have to think this one over. (So much for what look like easy questions!)
    Thanks, take your time though, going away tomorrow so won't be able to do anything until next weekend anyway.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrock43 View Post
    Thanks, take your time though, going away tomorrow so won't be able to do anything until next weekend anyway.
    At root, this is a cataloging problem, which is something most of us would prefer to deal with in the third-party software rather than in Windows. I have the same problem so far as cataloging is concerned, and I confess that my catalogs are a giant pain in the neck. Your application is Winamp, and you might check for application-specific features that might be of help to you, and which are much more refined than anything Windows has to offer. Have a look at Winamp organizer.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows is only an operating system. It includes minor applications, and it is normal for a user to use a third-party or separate Microsoft application to do any serious work. For cataloging, a database program such as Access might be used, but that would exceed your needs. Windows does have Media Player, if that suits you.

Winamp, your existing application, has two benefits: it is specifically designed for the data you have, and it has a means of automatically retrieving data when online. The link I provided suggests that you already have the capability of managing your material very well indeed.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Update....

Finally found a solution to this thanks to someone on another forum.

What I had to do was.....

Meh, not a big deal.

1. Run Regedit.
    2. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\SystemFileAsso ciations\.mp3 (Or whatever file type you want to edit.)
    3. Edit the PreviewDetails string.
    4. If needed, log off and back on.
    What I did was change the "PreviewDetails" string from....
    prop:System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;S ystem.Music.Genre;*System.Media.Duration;System.Ra ting;System.Media.Year;
    *System.Size;System.Music.TrackNumber;System.Music .AlbumArtist;System.Title;*System.Audio.EncodingBi trate;*System.DateModified;
    *System.OfflineAvailability;*System.OfflineStatus; *System.DateCreated;*System.SharedWith

to....
    prop:System.Music.Artist;System.Music.AlbumTitle;S ystem.Music.TrackNumber;System.Title;System.Media. Year;*System.Media.Duration;
    *System.Size;*System.Audio.EncodingBitrate

Giving me this result....