2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    I have a conundrum I was wondering if you all could help me with.

I have an HP all in One printer attached by ethernet via a modem router to my desktop which is running Windows Vista Home Premium.

I am in the process of choosing a new laptop (Windows 7 of course!) and my question is this:
    Can I install the HP software onto the laptop as a USB connection and then use the printer as USB with the laptop AND with the desktop as ethernet?

Any thoughts?
    Thank you in advance..

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Anyone?

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are saying the printer is connected to the router and is shared then your new PC should have no problem connecting to it. If HP supports the printer as a network printer you should be fine.

Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppurr101 View Post
    Can I install the HP software onto the laptop as a USB connection and then use the printer as USB with the laptop AND with the desktop as ethernet?

Any thoughts?
    Thank you in advance..
    Are you asking if you can have the printer connected at the same time by Ethernet AND USB? And have you checked to see if HP has Windows 7 software for this printer?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,
    Hi JJ, yes that's what I was wondering. I've had the printer for under a year and I am sure that if it didn't come on the installation CD, HP will have the software on their website..
    The HP printer is an All-in-One photosmart, with a lightscribe CD which I can't use becuase the desktop doesn't see the drive. I have researched and found that this is because I used the ethernet setup rather than the USB installation..
    If I get another computer, I was wondering if, rather than use the printer as a network printer, if I installed the HP software for USB on the laptop, I could connect it via USB to the laptop, and leave the ethernet connected as well. I could then use the lightscribe to make latbels for CD's. I have found that HP software is cranky if uninstalled and re-installed so, being that the desktop eithernet is working fine, I'd just as soon leave it..
    Thank you!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    In a word, yes.

cheers, Paul