Thread: Word Lookup

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been trying to work out how to return a string from a table in a word document based on a number in another one and then insert a bookmark in the latter comprised of the number and the string. If it cannot be done in Word is it possible to use the lookup function in excel.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You haven't given us much information so we can only offer general suggestions to solve your particular problem.

My understanding of what you asked is to use the value of text placed somewhere in the document to display other text related to that value from a different source. You could do this with bookmarks and fields. I have attached a sample doc that shows this in action. Note, you need to understand how inserting text at the end of a bookmark normally excludes that text from the bookmark if you want to test this method properly.

If this is not consistent with what you require then you may need to provide us a better description with sample data so we can better understand your problem.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew

Thanks for the reply should have mentioned I am working with Word 2004 on a Mac so I could only open your document as a text file so I cannot see any code that may have been included.

I also apologise my question was far too brief. I am working on reconstructing a Hymn book. Some have to be deleted and that will lead to a reordering. The challenge is that the book has two indexes one which is first line the other liturgical. The first line is sorted alphabetically and as in the original book some first lines where from the chorus rather than the verse the order will change. I have written code (some time ago when I was working on a windows machine I should add) that sorts out the first line index reconstructs the Hymn book in the correct sequence. the liturgical index is more of a challenge. The split between the various groups has been determined by others. It is presently entered in the index by group then by Hymn number and the first line. As deletion and some changes to first line structures means that the Hymn number will change what I am trying to do before I break the original book into sections is add to each Hymn a reference that will put it in the right liturgical group.

The sequence is find the Hymn number then look it up in the existing liturgical index that will provide the correct group enter that as a bookmark. When I reconstruct the Hymnbook I plan to use the bookmark to put the new Hymn number and first line into the correct place in the liturgical index. I hope this all makes sense.

Thank you peter

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchbvi View Post
    Thanks for the reply should have mentioned I am working with Word 2004 on a Mac so I could only open your document as a text file so I cannot see any code that may have been included.
    Here's Andrew's attached document, saved down as a Word .doc file - you should be able to open this on the Mac.

Gary
    Attached Files Attached Files