Thanks
    This probably applies equally well to Windows Server 2008. As you can guess, I managed to avoid Vista!

I am trying to find a definitive list of where all the subdirectories that used to be visible in
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users
    C:\Documents and Settings\Default User
    C:\Documents and Settings\<username>
    are now located, in a location where their constituent files may be processed (added to, deleted, renamed, etc) by a user.

I am aware of C:\Users\<username> and C:\Users\Public and C:\ProgramData, and that some junction points point to second junction points, and so on, but I can't find a definitive list for all possibilities.

I'm not sure whether it's worth giving examples, because someone might know of a source that gives all the information I'm after!

Thanks
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Hi BATcher,
    Windows 7 version or rough equivalent of Documents and Settings in XP is AppData. It is found in C:\Users\<username> when Folder Options are set to show hidden files, folders and drives.
    Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder options>view tab.

Is this what you are referring to?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    In part - but I am trying to make a BEFORE (Vista, Windows 7, WS 2008) and AFTER (XP) map for all the main subdirectories for All Users, Default User, and <username>. I can't find a complete listing on the web, and am trying to piece together the information from various sources, and some inference.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think that there is a definitive list, unless someone took the pains to put one together - things have moved around a lot. And a lot of it depends on where individual programs place their stuff. You have the primary locations:

XP: c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data ==> Windows 7: c:\ProgramData
    XP: c:\Documents and Settings\<user> ==> Windows 7: c:\Users\<user>
    XP: c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data & Local Settings ==> Windows 7: c:\Users\<user>\AppData

Other than that you would have to look for individual locations. For example:

Outlook PST files: XP: c:\Documents And Settings\<user>\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook ==> Win7: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
    Start menu: XP: c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Start Menu ==> Win7: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\ Start Menu
    Global start menu: XP: c:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu ==> Win7: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

I especially love the naming consistency NOT - AppData vs. ProgramData. You'd think that at least the UI team would have remarked on this and made the development teams use consistent names

By the way, as you go looking for these directories, do not use Explorer, use the command prompt instead. Here's an example. In Explorer, look at c:\Users\All Users. Now look at c:\ProgramData. Notice the similarity? Now open a command prompt and do "dir c:\Users". Note the lack of "All Users"! Otherwise the definitve list you come up with will be wrong.