Thread: Sorting aggro

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorting aggro

Does anyone else find it extremely annoying not being able to Sort on fields like Company and Contact? Is there a workaround?

Couldn't see any previous posts on this.

TIA

Sarah

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Sorting aggro

While in the Contact view, try opening View, Customise, Customise current view. There are options to add and remove fields, filters, sorting and other useful options.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Oops, sorry, should have said that I'm referring to Tasks which I use a lot, and like to group and sort, in the Task pad on Calendar and full Tasks view. Oh, and I've just remembered - Category is the other field I can't sort on. Grrrrr.

Anyway, I've just followed up the suggestion from pcrescue for Company and Outlook said Company (which I found in the All Contacts fields list) wasn't in my view (not true) and added it only the fields are empty, whereas I have data in the existing Company field. Huh?

Can't find Category to try out - sure it was in All Task Fields before...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

you can use any field from any of the other forms. they may not be useful, but you can add them anyway. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi MaryJ

Not sure about your reference to forms in relation to sorting... I only use the Task Pad and Task View.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

if you want to use a field that tasks doesn't have listed, locate it using field chooser and use it in your view. not all will contain data when used on tasks but a few will contain potentially useful data.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi MaryJ

Thanks, but now I see what you meant I realise I had already figured that out with the Field Chooser etc. But doesn't help with the problem - cannot sort on Categories in Tasks!!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've just discovered a 'feature' which might help with your complaint about not being able to sort on Categories.
    <UL><LI>Add the categories field to the Tasks view
    <LI>Select 'Group by' and drag the Categories column header to the Group by box
    <LI>You can now 'sort' by category by clicking on the 'Group By' Categories button - although Outlook still refuses to let you sort directly using the Category header - if you click on it, Outlook still says you cannot sort on this column![/list]Not wholly what you were looking for, I guess, but it's 'sorting by categories' of a sort (groan). It may just help. Hope so.
    Brian
    Silverback

New Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, been away for a few days.

Thanks for this Brian - as you say, not quite the result I was looking for, but does the job. Amazes me that you can't sort on Category. How hard is that to program???!!!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

it's not a programming issue. with the availability of multiple categories, how would you sort on them?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ah well, there I've (re-)learnt something. I never use more than one category per record and had forgotten that it was an option to do so.

So take your point completely :-). Guess I will continue to use another field as my own 'category' field.

Sarah