Thread: GRUB Help

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was dual-booting Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu. The hard drive I had Ubuntu on said it had "imminent disk failure" (the hard drive i was a free one i got from my school and they didn't know if it would work or not). I decided to reformat the Ubuntu hard drive to use as storage until I could get a new hard drive that worked right. Well, I formatted it and now when I start up the computer it says "GRUB loading", but because I'm not dual-booting anymore, it comes up with "error: no such disk" and then a command line "grub rescue>". Any clue how to get rid of this? Do I need to reinstall Ubuntu and do something from inside it?

Thanks
    Hi Jayson,

What you have to do is fix the boot loader so XP can be booted again just as you were able to do before installing Ubuntu.

If you have a Windows XP installation CD (not a manufacturer recovery disk), then boot from the XP CD and take the option to go to Recovery Console. When you get in Recovery Console, type in the following: fixboot and press enter. Next type in: fixmbr and press enter. This should put you back in business to boot XP again.

If you do not have a Windows installation CD, and it is inconvenient to borrow one, you can restore the boot and mbr from the Ubuntu livecd. See the following thread containing a link located here . This should get you back to booting XP.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I recently fixed my grub install, getting the menu back and everything. Here is the tutorial I read to get things back to where they were:
    http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub.html

Note that tutorial is for Grub 1 which was on Ubuntu 9.04 and earlier. If you have 9.10 you will have Grub 2 and the instructions might be different.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I tried to fix the bootloader from inside the Live CD, it told me ms-sys couldn't be found or something like that. I eventually just used Super Grub and to fix it and now I'm formatting the second hard drive to get rid of Linux.