New Lounger
    Thanks
    I repaired a friends computer recently and upgraded to Win7 Home Premium from XP Pro. I did the 'wipe the hard drive' clean install without the Windows key and then loaded the programs and a few days later called the friend to return the tower to me as I have yet to do the 'upgrade'. He returned it to me and I commenced the upgrade install from within Windows, and selected the upgrade option. The machine got about 3/4 the way through it and brought up a pop up window that the said the installation cannot continue as there was a registry error. My friend had tried to activate the tower over the net and the reply came back that the upgrade DVD could not be used to activate as it was installed cleanly, and not upgraded.
    Not to be outdone I called Microsoft to activate the tower only to be told that you CANNOT UPGRADE XP to WIN7. I exclaimed WHAT? and was told that if I wanted to upgrade XP Pro I would have to load Vista then upgrade to Win7. That was from the Technical people at Microsoft. I called again an hour later and was told the exact same thing. I was very agitated by now and almost swore at the "technician" and referred him to page 7 of the booklet that is included with an upgrade DVD. The page reference was, that you must do a clean install to upgrade XP to Win7 and could do an upgrade from Vista. There was a great deal of to-ing and fro-ing until I was put back to the switch board and connected to the extension that deals with activation by phone method. After reading out the 9 6 figure input data blocks I was given an 8 block of 6 figures to type in to the page and was then told "thank you for using Microsoft and that the unit was now activated." I checked and yes it eas activated.
    I have since done a fair bit of testing and find that if you want to do the XP to Win7 "upgrade", you should do it without any delay between steps and before any programs are loaded.
    How come we all know how to do an upgrade to Win7 from XP and Microsoft people do not, well at least the Technicians at the end of the phone while activating Windows 7 do not.
    An after thought, when told that I would have to load Vista first to upgrade to Win7, I asked where I would get the Vista disk from and was told 'Buy it from a computer store' at my cost. How crazy it that
    Allan

Thanks
    It probably would have been less of a hassle to install Win 7 over the existing XP rather than wipe the hard drive clean before installing Win 7. This would have had 2 advantages:

1) You probably would not have had the activation hassles. You could have activated online with little or no problems.

2) During the Win 7 install, a folder called windows.old is created which contains all of the XP OS. You could open this folder and drag all you data from the old OS to the new OS, saving all your data.

If you get the chance to do another clean install, this method works better and gives more alternatives for data restoration while still giving a pristine clean install.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Wallace View Post
    How come we all know how to do an upgrade to Win7 from XP and Microsoft people do not, well at least the Technicians at the end of the phone while activating Windows 7 do not.
    An after thought, when told that I would have to load Vista first to upgrade to Win7, I asked where I would get the Vista disk from and was told 'Buy it from a computer store' at my cost. How crazy it that
    It is certainly NOT necessary to upgrade from XP to Vista then to Win7. See Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media & Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows: Upgrading to Windows 7: Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 for details.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That is true, one can not do a "upgrade" install from XP and neither did you. You stated that you 'wipe the hard drive' and then did a install. This was a clean and not a UPGRADE, so the Microsofties are correct and do know what they are talking about.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was going to write a scathing reply, and did in fact write it but replaced it with the following.

I reread the "Upgrading from Windows XP" sheet that came with my Win7 upgrade DVD (wanting to verify my facts for the scathing reply) and there is nothing in there about doing a clean install (causing me to delete my scathing reply). The official upgrade steps are to backup your data and then run the install with XP still on the disk. I suspect that the help desk personnel knew about Paul Thurrott's guide for doing a clean install but were forbidden to mention it; help desk calls are monitored for more than "quality assurance". Fortunately there are forums like this one where people can discover the full story without any corporate bias. I fell sorry, though, for people who don't know about forums like this and end up being intimidated into purchasing Vista to upgrade. Of course some of those people will contact their Attorney Generals and lawsuits will follow. Sigh.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I also wiped the drive (inadvertently) of XP when I set up a RAID array in BIOS. None of the methods referenced above worked for me. Last night, I spent about an hour on the phone with Microsoft support (mostly on hold to India). They seemed familiar with the problem. They accessed my PC remotely via IE and typed in a code in the 'activate' window which registered and activated Windows 7 Home.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure I understand everything about how MS determines what is an upgrade and what is not. All I know is that I installed Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade to a clean hard drive with no previous version of Windows present nor did I show proof of upgrade to the installer. The product key code was accepted and I was immedialtely able to activate over the net. I know other folks who have done likewise.

Regards.