New Lounger
    Thanks
    Please help! I think my Windows XP Media Center computer tried to install the latest update, which I’d read was problematic. Anyhow, an hour ago it spontaneously (at the time set for updates which is why I suspect that) rebooted.

It then began to run CHKDSK. Up comes this error message: “Replacing invalid security id with default security id for file xxxx.” Xxxx is sequential numbers, apparently every file on 6 TB!!! It began over an hour and a half ago and we’re up to 175000 so far.

What I find on the web seems to be pretty dated. Folks describe the problem, but there aren’t really any fixes.

It just now suddenly stopped CHKDSK and rebooted again. Hung at "Loading Personal settings" then popped through with the desktop. It is starting up, but several programs are showing errors (TiVo, Copernic Search, Comcast Caller ID).

Anybody have any ideas?

HELP!!

Thanks.

Leo

Please reply to: leomunter AT comcast DOT net

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like a bad hard disk / controller.
    If check disk reports errors it usually means the hard disk has gone to god, or is about to.
    Download a disk tester from the disk manufacturers web site and test the disk.

If you don't have a backup it may be worth attempting to copy the data to another disk.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    This is the biggest reason for having a complete image back up of your system. It does indeed sound like your hard disk is on it's last legs. You may still be able to get your data from the hd before it dies. Grab as much as you can to removable media. Good luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I hate, but appreciate, these answers. I've been elevated to level two support at MS, but there has been little progress. They are trying to get system restore to work. (The file is there, but trying to run it gets an error message that "System Restore is not protecting this computer.")

New question then, based on these replies. What is the most economical way to back up, say, 4 GB? One of those small SOHO boxes that has 2 or 3 2TB drives? That's still probably, what, $800?

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Leo

Thanks
    You can get a USB flash drive that will hold 8 GB or more of data. I would just worry about the data. If the HD is toast the way it sounds, the programs should be reloaded once you have a new HD or a anew PC. I would not trust an image at this time. The data should be pretty good so that when you re-establish on a new drive or PC and reload the apps, you should be able to place the data right there. Plus, be sure to create an image at that time. You can get a great 3rd party app for about $50. Take a look at Acronis True Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted, but I need to back up 4 terabyte. That'd be, if my math is right, 500 8 GB flash drives. I'm sure I'd get a deal on them, but that would not be convenient. Thanks for the software suggestion, But I guess I need to consider a small server.

Any thoughts on that?

Leo

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Munter View Post
    Thanks Ted, but I need to back up 4 terabyte. That'd be, if my math is right, 500 8 GB flash drives. I'm sure I'd get a deal on them, but that would not be convenient. Thanks for the software suggestion, But I guess I need to consider a small server.
    If you are going to consider a small server check out Windows Home Server – media server, backup and data recovery solution. Many different designs around now.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Munter View Post

Any thoughts on that?

Leo
    Sorry, you initial post said 4 GB, not TB. I can't help with that. Sorry again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted