Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have contacted both the tech support for my wireless router and the manufacturer of my laptop and I am as confused as if I had done neither. Lately I have been getting the error message "Limited Or No Connectivity" when trying to access the Internet wirelessly with my laptop. I should say that for over a year and a half I had absolutely no problems but it all changed about 3 weeks ago and I have no idea why because nothing at all was changed. The router support people have downloaded new firmware to my router and reset many settings on the router and it will work for a time and then mess up again. The computer support people say as long as I can connect to the Internet at all the hardware is probably working fine. Each time I get the message "Limited Or No Connectivity" I check the available wireless networks and my network always shows up as having either 4 or 5 bar strength out of a possible 5 which seems to indicate a very strong signal yet it will not connect to the Internet. I also should probably add that when it will not connect later, maybe 10 or 15 minutes later, it will connect but I never know if or when that will happen. So my question is what does this mean and is it the router or modem in my computer.

Thanks
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hlewton View Post
    I have contacted both the tech support for my wireless router and the manufacturer of my laptop and I am as confused as if I had done neither. Lately I have been getting the error message "Limited Or No Connectivity" when trying to access the Internet wirelessly with my laptop.

So my question is what does this mean and is it the router or modem in my computer.

Thanks
    Have you tried changing the channel used by your wireless router? Try channels 1, 6 and 11 to see if you get an improved connection on one of them.

We had a period when one of our pcs wouldn't connect to the wireless router even though the other laptops were fine, changing the channel made all the difference.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gfamily View Post
    Have you tried changing the channel used by your wireless router? Try channels 1, 6 and 11 to see if you get an improved connection on one of them.

We had a period when one of our pcs wouldn't connect to the wireless router even though the other laptops were fine, changing the channel made all the difference.
    Yes actually I don't know what the original channel was but they changed it to channel 11 to start with then when I called them back they changed it to channel 1 where it is at now.

Thanks
    H Lewton

Thanks
    Hi hlewton,

It wouldn't hurt to change the channel to 6 just to see if it helps.

Are there any other computers in your home, and do they and your laptop see each other?

Do you have a separate wifi router and a cable or DSL modem connected to it? If so, disconnect the Ethernet cable from your router and plug it into your laptop to see if you can get a reliable internet connection. If you keep a connection without the error message, then your cable/DSL modem are okay, and that leaves your router's wireless function and wireless card in your laptop as suspect, whether it be a configuration problem or a hardware problem.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi hlewton,

It wouldn't hurt to change the channel to 6 just to see if it helps.

Are there any other computers in your home, and do they and your laptop see each other?

Do you have a separate wifi router and a cable or DSL modem connected to it? If so, disconnect the Ethernet cable from your router and plug it into your laptop to see if you can get a reliable internet connection. If you keep a connection without the error message, then your cable/DSL modem are okay, and that leaves your router's wireless function and wireless card in your laptop as suspect, whether it be a configuration problem or a hardware problem.
    I'm not sure what channel it started out on but they have also tried channel 11 and then channel 1. Didn't seem to make any difference at all as far as connecting was concerned.

I have 5 other computers, all desktops and not wireless, and they all see each other and my laptop with no problems at all including Internet access. I have connected my laptop directly to the wireless router since I have 4 ports on the back of it and it maintains connection without exception.

I have purchased a Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter to try when I next get that error message and if I can connect with it the thought is the modem or adapter, whatever it is called, in the computer itself is bad. As I said even when I get the "Low or no connectivity" message the signal strength of my network is still showing either 4 or 5 bars of strength out of a possible 5 bars. It seems to me to make sense that the problem may be with the adapter in the computer even though it works a lot of the time. But just because it seems logical to me it may not be the case since I don't know much at all about the wireless router and its properties.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    H Lewton

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hlewton View Post
    I have purchased a Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter to try when I next get that error message and if I can connect with it the thought is the modem or adapter, whatever it is called, in the computer itself is bad. As I said even when I get the "Low or no connectivity" message the signal strength of my network is still showing either 4 or 5 bars of strength out of a possible 5 bars. It seems to me to make sense that the problem may be with the adapter in the computer even though it works a lot of the time. But just because it seems logical to me it may not be the case since I don't know much at all about the wireless router and its properties.
    Be sure to disable your on board wireless when you test the Compact Wireless USB Adapter. Post back with the results you get when you try the USB wireless adapter. If it works fine, your laptop's wireless must be on its way out.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Be sure to disable your on board wireless when you test the Compact Wireless USB Adapter. Post back with the results you get when you try the USB wireless adapter. If it works fine, your laptop's wireless must be on its way out.
    Thank you. I was wondering about if I had to disable it or not. As soon as it happens and I try this I will let you know.
    H Lewton

New Lounger
    Thanks
    "Limited or no connectivity" has nothing to do with wireless configuration. That message means that the IP address that your computer uses is a "default" IP address (it should begin with a 169.x.x.x). Your computer is given it's IP address by the DHCP server, which is a function of your router. If you can go to a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" when this is happening and post it here, I may be able to help

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lyskawa View Post
    "Limited or no connectivity" has nothing to do with wireless configuration. That message means that the IP address that your computer uses is a "default" IP address (it should begin with a 169.x.x.x). Your computer is given it's IP address by the DHCP server, which is a function of your router. If you can go to a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" when this is happening and post it here, I may be able to help
    I will give it a try when it happens again. I'm not sure what you're saying though about wireless configuration. Are you saying the router is the problem here?

Thank you.
    H Lewton