Thanks

Thumbs up

I have a self created library that contains a folder that is on my desktop. I would like to drag that folder to my task bar, since I am in that folder quite often.
    I tried drag and drop, but it won't stick. I also would like to be able to do that with the Maxtor (Drive G), but so far have been unsuccessful.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Hi t8ntlikly,

If your shortcut represents a file associated with a specific program, like MS Word, then it would be placed in the Word taskbar button rather than independently. And if you have no Word icon on the taskbar, it will automatically be created there to contain your Word file. If you drag a folder shortcut to the taskbar, it should show up in the Windows Explorer task bar icon and will create one if it is not already present. Check that icon to see if the folder you dragged to the taskbar was placed in the Windows Explorer button.

I may be mistaken, but I do not believe you can drag a hard drive to the taskbar for quick selection.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thanks Gerald but the folder that I want to d & d to my task bar contains all sorts of files. Adobe, Excel, Word, Power Point, Map Point etc., so there is no one file association.
    As for Drive G, I do have it pinned to the "Start Menu", but it would sure be nice to have it on the task bar as well. Oh well, can't have everything
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Folders, whatever shortcuts they contain, are part of Windows Explorer's realm, therefore the folder you dragged to the task bar should show up as a folder in the Windows Explorer icon button. I have not tried what you are attempting to do yet, so maybe that puts a foul taste in the task bar's mouth and it spits the folder out.

If you want to bring back the Quick Launch toolbar that previous Windows OS'es had, you can place a folder icon on it and it will be independent of anything else, and you can click it to see and select its contents in Windows Explorer. However you will not be able to use the Jump List feature built into the Win 7 task bar.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you want to bring back the Quick Launch toolbar that previous Windows OS'es had, you can place a folder icon on it and it will be independent of anything else
    Also works for drives. I went back to the Quick Launch, its better for me at least to have better segregation between what's running and what isn't but is still just a click away.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    Thanks Gerald but the folder that I want to d & d to my task bar contains all sorts of files. Adobe, Excel, Word, Power Point, Map Point etc., so there is no one file association.
    As for Drive G, I do have it pinned to the "Start Menu", but it would sure be nice to have it on the task bar as well.
    See if How to pin any item to the taskbar in Windows 7 | Windows 7 Center or Pin Individual Folders to the Windows 7 Taskbar - windows 7 - Lifehacker helps.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Wow Joe! I tried it and it works great! So that's the way to pin an item to the taskbar independent of Explorer or any other app. Awesome.
    Deadeye81