5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Toshiba Laptop less than 5 years old that came with Vista Home Premium. It is currently running the SP1 version. I have a good firewall (ZoneAlarm) and a good antivirus and antispyware (Viper). I install Microsoft's updates regularly and as far as I can tell I don't run anything unusual or from an unreliable vendor. I am running Microsoft Office 2000 and I think that is no longer supported but I don't have any plans to upgrade to anything newer if I can help it. I use Thunderbird for my email and that seems to working fine as far as I can tell. I installed the Carbonite backup system about 10 days ago and it seems to be working fine.

I did a clean install of the original software about a year ago because it was crashing too often. It is now crashing too often again! If I leave it on all night, when I wake it up in the morning 9 time out of 10 it will have rebooted due to an unexplained failure and it will be waiting for me to login again.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do at this point?

Thanks,
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do at this point?
    First, you should install Vista SP-2. Download either Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone (KB948465) or Download details: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 and Windows Vista Service Pack 2 - Five Language Standalone for x64-based systems (KB948465) depending on whether you are running 32-bit Vista or 64-bit Vista. You probably need to install Download details: System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista (KB947821) [January 2010] or Download details: System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [January 2010] before the service pack.

NOTE: Make sure you backup your system before starting any of the updates.

Next, check your event logs for information about the crash.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe. I didn't realize that I was missing a Service Pack. I'll install those things right away and then see where I stand.

Thanks,
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, now I recall why I did not install Vista SP2 back in June when it came out. The WindowsSecrets newsletter's patch guru, Susan Bradley, recommended that we not install SP2 until she gives the go-ahead. If she gave the go-ahead since then I missed it. Are you convinced that it really should be installed?

Thanks, Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    Joe, now I recall why I did not install Vista SP2 back in June when it came out. The WindowsSecrets newsletter's patch guru, Susan Bradley, recommended that we not install SP2 until she gives the go-ahead. If she gave the go-ahead since then I missed it. Are you convinced that it really should be installed?
    I installed it on several machines within a few days of release without any problems. I think that any install issues are well known by now and should either be fixed or have a work around.

NOTE: Again - be sure to backup your system before you start.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have installed SP2 and the Update Readiness Tool. The Readiness Tool spent a lot of time being "installed" and I assume that it was doing its scan and fixing during that time. It didn't display anything after the "installation" was completed. That process does seem to have installed the .Net stuff that I don't believe I had before that. My laptop is running OK so far so maybe this has fixed any problems that existed.

Thanks for the help.
    Bill

Administrator
    Thanks
    I have installed SP2 and the Update Readiness Tool. The Readiness Tool spent a lot of time being "installed" and I assume that it was doing its scan and fixing during that time. It didn't display anything after the "installation" was completed. That process does seem to have installed the .Net stuff that I don't believe I had before that. My laptop is running OK so far so maybe this has fixed any problems that existed.
    Glad it is working so far. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe