2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

WOODY'S WINDOWS

Win7 upgrade restrictions make no sense

By Woody Leonhard

Microsoft's words and actions sometimes directly contradict each other; in several places, the Windows 7 license agreement prohibits actions that the setup software then allows or even automates.

All Microsoft end-user license agreements suffer from defects, but with Win7, the conflicts, contradictions, and confusion have reached new heights — or depths.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/02/18/05 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-20 at 15:04.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was a beta tester for win 7 and was able to buy an upgrade license without having to prove I had a previous paid version of windows installed. I do have one that came with the computer. But theoretically I could install my old Vista again (probably not legal but there was no check involved). Not that I'd ever use Vista again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    From the article, "Creating a dual-boot PC using the upgrade DVD definitely isn't allowed, but Windows 7 doesn't bellyache when you do so."

I have a machine running OEM Vista. I want to make it dual-boot, with the 2nd partition being 64-bit Windows 7. I have an unused XP license. Wouldn't it be allowed for me to create the Win7 partition using that license as the base for the Win7 upgrade, or am I missing something?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Stebbins View Post
    From the article, "Creating a dual-boot PC using the upgrade DVD definitely isn't allowed, but Windows 7 doesn't bellyache when you do so."

I have a machine running OEM Vista. I want to make it dual-boot, with the 2nd partition being 64-bit Windows 7. I have an unused XP license. Wouldn't it be allowed for me to create the Win7 partition using that license as the base for the Win7 upgrade, or am I missing something?
    As long as the XP license is a retail license. If it is an OEM license, those are tied to the PC on which it was originally installed. If the OEM Vista license was an upgrade for that version then the Vista install "took over" the whole license and the XP license is not valid in Microsoft's eyes.

Joe
    Joe