2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

LANGALIST PLUS

Wanted: easy desktop-shutdown options

By Fred Langa

Tools built into every version of Windows let you create customized shutdown shortcuts.

It's easy to add shutdown, reboot, suspend, hibernate, or other options to your desktop — if that's what you want or need.

The full text of this column is posted at WindowsSecrets.com/2010/02/18/04 (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Last edited by revia; 2011-01-19 at 18:37.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,

One other thing that "bit" me recently w.r.t. speed was the router I was using. I was shocked when the tech at the ISP (Cable company) said to hook directly to the cable modem, and double check with their speed test. WOW...I went from about 3-4Mbit to 5h3 full 20+Mbit I was paying for. After some searching, I found out that router throughput can make a big difference. Makes sense, since it is just a computer, and can only go as fast as the processor in the computer will let it. Even though this was a relatively "new" "G" wireless router, it was based on an older design and used a somewhat slower processor.

Check out a google search for "router speed throughput" and the first link to http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/

Needless to say, I bought a new router...

Scott

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Baeder View Post
    Check out a google search for "router speed throughput" and the first link to http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/
    Here's the correct link: http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/compo...rt/Itemid,189/

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred wrote "Vista and Win7 feature an alternative way to access the suspend and hibernate functions directly; MS Knowledge Base article 555569explains how. You can use the same "create shortcut" process discussed earlier to add these options to your desktop."

Actually that link is Windows XP, anybody know what the special Vista/W7 functions are?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am writing to comment on Fred's item on "Comparing Internet-throughput speed tests ".

It is not stated what kind of broadband link Charlie Breitzke uses. My comment applies only to basic ADSL; if it is ADSL2 or + or cable or some other technology, this does not apply.

If it is basic ADSL then it seems to me that the answer misses the most fundamental consideration of all: what is his modem synchronisation speed?
    In my case my modem synchronises at 4928 kbps downstream and 768 kbps upstream. This speed is dictated by the distance from my house to the exchange, several miles in my case.
    The obvious result of this is that I will never see a download speed much above 4500 kbps (experts may be able to tell me exactly how close to 4900 I might get on a good day or night.).
    So it is irrelevant to me that I am signed up to an 8mbps service; all that tells me is that the ISP will be able feed data to my exchange at that speed - if my local loop can use it. But the last few miles limit me to about 4.5 Mbps.

For ADSL2 services there may well be an analogous discussion, but I have not researched the numbers because it will be some while before my exchange in rural North Yorkshire is equipped for better services.

I can find my synch speed on the Router Status page of the router. In my case, with a network attached Netgear DG834 v4, I go to 192.168.1.1 in my browser, log in and there is the router status page. Other people may have set different IP addresses for their routers. USB attached routers will probably come with suitable status display software - I have not used one, so others will know that area better..

David H-S

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The mention of Mark Russinovich's SysInternals set of utilities is good advice. SysInternals contains a great library of utilities, but a word of caution here. Many antivirus and/or antispyware detection programs falsely flag these utilities as 'unwanted programs' or 'remote administration' assaults, etc. Be sure to exclude these in whatever way is appropriate to your protection software so you don't have to continuously replace them as they are deleted by your protection programs.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred's article about Windows Shutdown shortcuts does not include a "SLEEP" option. Does one exist? Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVID BERGER View Post
    Fred's article about Windows Shutdown shortcuts does not include a "SLEEP" option. Does one exist? Thanks.
    Hi David and welcome to the Lounge!

Forgive me, but I cannot read Fred's article at this time. I am not home and I forgot my code to enter to read the paid version of the newsletter. However, the procedure for creating a "sleep" shortcut would be similar to the one for hibernation.

This link will show you how to create your sleep shortcut and enter the command into the shortcut to make it work. While it is in a Vista forum, it should work with Windows 7 the same. I just applied the procedure to XP Pro and it worked great on this desktop. The thing you must do is disable "hibernation", and they provide a link to click for help on that if you do not know how to disable that function. When I tried the shortcut on this PC, it went into hibernation rather than sleep. So I pressed the enter key, disabled hibernation in the Control Panel | Power Options, tried it again, and this time it went into "Standby", which is what XP calls "sleep".

Hope this helps. When I return home, I will check Fred's article. In the meantime, if you use the link I have provided, let me know if it works for you.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill