5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to merge a revised document into an older version so that I can see all of the changes that took place. However, when I merge the newer document into the older one, rather than showing the changes as new additions, it shows them as the old original text. For example, if in editing the document, I crossed out "book" and wrote in "study," Word displays it as crossing off "study" and writing in book.

I have tried realizing the merge by starting both in the old document as well as in the new one, but neither worked.

Any advice?

JMT

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I always found Word 2003's compare utility to be illogical. What worked for me in 2003 (we're in 2007 now, and it is more helpful about comparisons) was to:

1) open the revised document, the newest one
    2) go to Tools-Compare and Merge Documents
    3) at "File name" enter or select the original document, the old one
    4) press Compare.

That's what worked for me, anyway, if I'm not mistaken. Good luck!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As an alternative, you may try to do a Compare by checking the box named "Legal blackline" at the point where you are selecting your document to merge. Checking that box will change your Merge button to a Compare button and will result in a redlined copy. You should still start with the document that has the most current changes and compare it back to the original (or older copy).